What's new

Will there be a Ferris Bueller SE? (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait for this...the original version was one of my first DVDs ever, and my sister's been wanting a copy ever since...I'll give her my old one now.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm still waiting for the Planes, Trains & Automobiles: "Those Aren't Pillows" edition, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. lol
as long as we don't end up with a Planes, Trains and Automobiles.. "You're Fucked!" S.E.

with bare bones Extras

John*P

Second Unit
For those of you who might be wondering why there was never a commercially available soundtrack for Ferris Bueller's Day Off, here is the answer from John Hughes himself...
From an interview at lollipop.com...
You know how, when you're a kid, you love it when you get mail? You feel important, like someone's paying attention to you. Well, we used to do that - every time someone wrote a fan letter to one of our cast members, every piece of mail that came in, we'd put their names on our mailing list and mail out huge packages every time a new movie was about to come out, kind of like what Disney does now - posters, rolls of stickers, all sorts of neat stuff. In fact, the only official soundtrack that Ferris Bueller's Day Off ever had was for the mailing list. A&M was very angry with me over that; they begged me to put one out, but I thought "who'd want all of these songs?" I mean, would kids want "Dankeschöen" and "Oh Yeah" on the same record? They probably already had "Twist and Shout," or their parents did, and to put all of those together with the more contemporary stuff, like the (English) Beat - I just didn't think anybody would like it. But I did put together a seven-inch of the two songs I owned the rights to - "Big City" on one side, and... I forget, one of the other English bands on the soundtrack... and sent that to the mailing list. By '86, '87, it was costing us $30 a piece to mail out 100,000 packages. But it was a labor of love. I cared about my audience and I cared about these movies.
If you'd like to read the entire interview, it's here: http://www.lollipop.com/issue47/47-02-03.html
You should definitely check it out if you're a John Hughes fan. He starts out talking about a film he worked on a few years back called Reach the Rock, and then speaks of his 80s movies, the tv shows they spawned, his days as a writer for the National Lampoon, Shermer IL, etc.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
It is coming!
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Bueller... Bueller... Edition
Two Discs!
No specs yet, but there is some artwork. Not too fond of the subtitle though. I hope its a real set that I can be "Dankeschöen" for.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Paramount got Richard Roeper to do a commentary for this. He's said that this is his #3 movie of all time. No idea what #2 is, but I know #1 is The Godfather

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Yeah, why not give him a shot at it? If Ebert can do commentary on some DVDs, why can't he? :) I've actually seem him being interviewed outside of the show for "E True Hollywood Story" shows and he was good at it, so I think he might be able to make a DVD commentary interesting.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Ebert, I've considered myself a fan of his for awhile, but I was a bit offended when I read the intro to his "The Great Movies" section of reviews on his website, where he wrote something like "When people say that their favourite movies are 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' and 'Total Recall', I wonder what they would think of 'M. Hulot's Holiday, or 'Metropolis'. I say this not to be a movie snob..." To which I would reply, but you ARE being a snob by talking about those movies like that. That was one of the most pompous, arrogant things I've ever seen him write.
I like Ferris Bueller's Day Off a hell of a lot more than many of the so-called "classics" of cinema that win Oscars, or are on his "Great Movies" list and other "important" lists like the "AFI Top 100". "Apocalypse Now" for example, which I think is absolute crap. He really shouldn't belittle someone or assume that they are not "cinema literate" for considering Ferris Bueller's Day Off one of their favourite movies.
I try to watch as many important movies as I can, and have been able to see significant movies from the 30s to the present, and I still love Ferris Bueller's Day Off more than most movies. And that doesn't mean I think it's better than them. I like The Godfather and Citizen Kane as much as the next guy, but they just can't make me happy the way Ferris Bueller's Day Off always does :)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I think Ebert sums the movie up quite well actually, and it sounds to me, Ocean Phoenix, that He was addressing people who would rank Ferris and T. Recall as better films than 'M. Hulot's Holiday, or 'Metropolis', not those who just personally enjoy them more.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
that He was addressing people who would rank Ferris and T. Recall as better films than 'M. Hulot's Holiday, or 'Metropolis', not those who just personally enjoy them more.
so what if they do ???

just because its a "classic" does that mean everyone should like it ?

Matthew H

Second Unit
I never have and never will go by what film critics say. Their opinions on movies are usually totally different than mine. If they don't care for a certain genre or what have you, they're not going to think it's as great as I would. I call the Police Academy movie classics, so I won't even tell you where I stand next to boring films like Citizen Kane and The Godfather.
Give me a classic starring Andrew McCarthy or Steve Guttenburg anyday! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks