What's new

Will there be a better edition of "Chicago"? (1 Viewer)

MorganP

Agent
The present DVD of "Chicago" is pretty bare, though the commentary is good. The behind-the-scenes featurette is very brief. I also don't think the picture quality is that great.

Any chance they will double dip this?

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
As a fan of the movie, and having listened to the audio commentary by Rob Marshall, he did shot the musical numbers complete, as well as the "reality" scenes from which he cut back and forth, in this frenzy and fascinating editing style, so, a nice bonus feature in this possible SE would be to show the musical numbers in their integrity.
Unfortunately Miramax, as far as I know, is not famous for the generosity of its DVD releases.
Anyone?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you could do much more as far as extras go, the film is really what is important. To me, I rarely watch extras, or if I do, never more than once.

But, as mentioned, the picture quality is not very good. Very grainy. Was it shot like that?

Travis W.

Second Unit
I don't know though, they're doing 6 versions of Kill Bill (supposedly) so I think a special edition of Chicago will be in the cards sooner or later.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
They'll announce Chicago: Deep Dish edition as soon as all the people who are holding out buy this edition.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Ditto. Personally, I may watch scenes from my favorite movies again but I rarely get around to the whole thing more than once. There just isn't enough time.

Also, I think the quality of the current DVD picture is excellent. It looks spectacular on my old 65" Toshiba and the DTS sound rocks.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The quality of the DVD transfer is pretty close to the screen prints. The film was shot on a modest budget, and it showed - many of the shots were grainy in the theater. I thought the dvd was disapointing until I saw the film once again at the Academy theater in LA (they're know for getting the best prints available.)

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
What is really important is the movie? Of course, but for watching it you just have the plain version already released.
I don't know about you Jon, but I do watch the extras many times, if they are worth it!!
That's the whole thing about DVD Special edition, isn't it?
I think that you could do excellent job with bonus material with this film for the reasons I mentioned above.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The picture quality of the DVD is actually BETTER than the prints that I saw theatrically...which were even more grainy, washed-out and low-contrast in appearance. the Strong black level, contrast, and color of the DVD are breathtaking in comparison.

The one thing that holds this image from being truly GREAT on DVD is a mild case of HF boosting/EE which can exaggerate grain making it look noisy in a few scenes and also makes the video look a little "harsh" on a large-screen system. But still, the experience of watching Chicago on DVD on my 100" screen is much more satisfying that the print I saw theatrically...

-dave

CraigL

Screenwriter
FYI...

I have the 2 disc special edition available in Japan. There are definitely some other extras available that are not included here.

Besides those extras...how about the trailer? The VH1 behind the movie special? Just a couple of thoughts...

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Hey GraigL, I'm quite interested. What are those "other" bonus extras included in your DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks