Will the Yamaha RX-V450 receiver be sufficient enough for my home theatre setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rob.P, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Rob.P

Rob.P Auditioning

My Setup: 2 front Polk Audio RTi8 towers, CSi3 centre speaker, and 2 polk fxi3 surround(rear) speakers, and a sub, prolly veoldyne 10' i will add later. also, will add 6th rear speaker after too.

will the Yamaha RX-V450 power these speakers enough and will they be used to their capacity?

im 80% going to use the HT for dvd watching

2. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

I don't think they will be powered enough & used to their full capacity. Myself I would go with a higher watts per channel receiver around the 100 watts per channel plus range. All I can say is test the receiver out on speakers you have in the store if possible & if you cant see what their return policy is like & test it out @ home for awhile. Good luck & happy listening. I have a older Yamaha RX-V995 (5.1) myself & I am looking @ upgrading possibly to Yamaha RX-V2500 (7.1) or DENON AVR-3805 (7.1) not sure which one yet.

3. Rob.P

Rob.P Auditioning

really, u think that receiver wont be good enough?

4. John S

John S Producer

well what is the room size????

And are you wanting your HT to be at or close to true reference type volume levels?

5. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

I dunno ROB ...I kinda agree with John & was wondering the same questions.

6. Rob.P

Rob.P Auditioning

ok, how bout the onkyo 502. i see that cheap everywhere with decent reviews. is that one good enough?

room is 16x10.5

7. John S

John S Producer

16x10.5x?????

It is the total room volume that matters. But, I digress. I don't think you will hit true reference levels with the setup.. Close though as those are decently efficient speakers.

But to significantly out perform something like the Onkyo 502, you would have to go up to the price point of a Denon 3805. It will probably be fine. I have installed quite a few Onkyo 770 systems in even larger rooms than yours. But those owners never hit anywhere close to reference levels in their normal use.

For myself, I like reference levels with a fair amount of headroom to spare, but that is just me. I found the Pioneer 1014 to not cut it in my 30x20x8(Cieling) room, but even it made it close to reference levels decent enough.

Reference levels are true pay theater type volume levels, the soft parts are loud, and the loud parts nearly blow you out of your seat as it should be!!! [​IMG]

8. Rob.P

Rob.P Auditioning

16x10.5x prolly 8-9

9. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

My room is 20x12x10+ and my RX-V630 has no problems with my Boston CR system. The RX-V630 is rated at 6x75. I also see no practical difference with my new pioneer 1014 at 110 watts and my yamaha.

Just my .02.

10. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I just put the 1014 I just bought on Flea-bay. I don't believe it has 110 watts per channel. The Onkyo 502 I used had more headroom and better bass response. I just ordered the Onkyo 602.

The HK-235 I had also had more power than the 1014. I wanted to love the 1014. I love the look and feature set. The fact that it is not compatible with my DN receiver did not help. I am using 3 Infinity studio monitors for my front 3 in the living room. All 98db sensitivity. I have the 1014 at like -15 for most listening-not very loud. I know I am in the minority but the 1014 to me is overrated...

11. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

You should be fine with that receiver in that sized room. Ys it may not hit reference but you will be fine. I would not worry about it at all. Saying you need 100Watts and such really is not going to help since it is well known that what one speaker company calls 100w another would consider 70w. You will probably be more than happy with that receiver.