Will the SVS 20-39pci sound better than my current sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis M, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I currently have the Klipsch KSW-12 and I am not very happy with it. I was looking at subs from SVS like the 20-30pci(the cheapest compared to the PC-plus,cs, and ss series) that sells for $600.00 and I was wondering if going for this sub would make a big difference. The Klipsch has 105 watts into 4 ohms and a peak output of 441 watts. The SVS has 320 watts. I also wonder if the 320 watts on the SVS is peak or continuos watts?

2. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

I think that sub sounds awesome myself(the SVS)...clean tight bass, and sound great in my HT room...I highly recommend it...plus you get the 45 day trial, AND GREAT SERVICE to boot...I'd give it a try...tom

3. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

the svs will easily outclass the klipsch sub from comparisons i have read about. a search might turn something up. 320 watts on the svs are RMS watts, meaning continuous. the higher enclosure volume puts the power to better use also.

4. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

what is the diference between the 20-39 pci and the other series (pc plus,cs,etc)? Is it more watts and better cables with the same basic designs? I am really interested on the 20-39 pci but wonder why so many people on the forum have the upgraded series.

5. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Larger amp, and updated driver...BUT this is the one Ron recommended for my scenerio...and I must say, he was right[​IMG] It is a great sub...you won't be disappointed with it...email ron...give him some info(room size, what you use it for HT, music etc...he'll be true to you) [email protected] tell him toml from MN sent ya[​IMG]

6. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Thank you tommy, I'll do that.

7. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I own a 20-39PCi. I have no basis of comparison to your current sub, but I can't believe anyone would NOT be impressed with this sub. It'll make your vision blurry and scare your neighbors, all without a hint of distortion. I couldn't be happier with it. Also, if you frequent these forums, you know that SVS has THE BEST support. I say, go for it. It'll knock your socks off (or at least rattle them down your leg).

8. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

I currently have the original 20-39PC subwoofer, bought in Sep. 2001, and it continues to impress me. Sure, I can't wait to have enough extra money to buy one of the new PC plus series, but the PCi series subwoofers will definitelly not disappoint.

9. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Heh...Currently have the KSW-12 myself and was wondering the same thing.

10. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Ian, I've had the KSW-12 for a while and it does the job but I need something better now that I've upgraded the rest of the system.

11. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I've owned the KSW-12 and it isn't competition for any of the SVS.

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Luis,

The PCi amp puts out about 320 watts continuous into a 4ohm load. This would be considered anywhere from 600 to 1200 watts *peak* in most manufacturers eyes I suppose.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Tom V.
    SVS

13. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Well my mind is pretty much made up. I will get the 20-39 pci SVS sub, it seems like everybody has nothing but good things to say about them. Thank you all.

14. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

What's up with these silly "peak" ratings anyway? I thought there were rules about this. I can see how you'd get twice the RMS power if the amplifier was producing a square wave, but four times? How does that work?