Will the SVS 20-39 go below 20Hz?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Phipps, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Steven Phipps

Steven Phipps Stunt Coordinator

Steve Phipps
    I am just wondering, for example, if TPM goes below 20Hz (THX Trailer goes down to approx 10Hz), will the SVS 20-39 still reproduce the sound even though it is "tuned in" at 20Hz? Sorry I don't know the technical jargin that well, but I have currently a PSB Subsonic 3, and was thinking of changing subs, but I really need to justify the switch. The PSB is rated to go down to 24Hz according to the company...Thanks.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I think most SVS subs will go below their namesake rating by a few htz. I think alot of this depends on the room it's in.
    A small room will allow any sub to extend below what it's rated for. On the other hand a large room will probably tax a sub right about it's rated frequency at high levels.
    There are a lot of veriables in your question. Maybe Tom or Ron will come along and give you a real answer.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think that SVS sub is rated at -3dB @ 20Hz so depending on how steep the rolloff is, you will at least hear down to the mis teens, again depending on your room.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i know the answer is yes, but it loses some dB in the process. Ron or Tom can give the you absolute lowest number the SVS will drop to.

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Steven,
    A 20-39CS (or PC) placed in the corner of your room should yield very powerful bass to 16-19Hz. Your room "gains" bass quickly below 20Hz with good location figured in.
    Indeed there is more and more bass below that point but you may not miss it much. A 16-46 will reach 10-14Hz with good output but give up a few dBs of upper bass "punch" to get that. We often suggest dual 16-46s for this reason, esp. for large rooms or folks that want to really crank it.
    Near reference level bass below 20Hz is something you have got to hear/feel to believe.
    There's a bit more on all of this here:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faqs.htm
    PS, that PSB may be "rated" at 24Hz but ask them what sound pressure level (SPL) can be achieved with less than 10% distortion at that frequency. If you get an answer you might be suprised to find out that it could be so low a volume that you can't even hear it. This rating without an SPL figure is meaningless.
    Ron
    [Edited last by SVS-Ron on October 18, 2001 at 06:48 PM]

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I think it's also worth noting we *spec* our subwoofers based on their actual response curves...using a GROUNDPLANE method. This means we measure the subwoofer outside..about 75ft from the nearest reflective boundary.I place a mic 2 meters from the subwoofer for this.(this = a typical 1m anechoic measurement). We also post the actual response curves(warts and all) on the website for all to see.
    If we specced our subwoofers per some *in room standard* ...we'd probably post something like...
    20-39cs(15-100hz).
    If anyone has a 20-39 and is playing around with spectraplus...they could easily verify it will offer strong energy into the mid teens in a 1500-2500 cu-ft room.
    TV