Will the SVS 20-39 go below 20Hz?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Phipps, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Steven Phipps

Steven Phipps Stunt Coordinator

Steve Phipps
    I am just wondering, for example, if TPM goes below 20Hz (THX Trailer goes down to approx 10Hz), will the SVS 20-39 still reproduce the sound even though it is "tuned in" at 20Hz? Sorry I don't know the technical jargin that well, but I have currently a PSB Subsonic 3, and was thinking of changing subs, but I really need to justify the switch. The PSB is rated to go down to 24Hz according to the company...Thanks.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I think most SVS subs will go below their namesake rating by a few htz. I think alot of this depends on the room it's in.
    A small room will allow any sub to extend below what it's rated for. On the other hand a large room will probably tax a sub right about it's rated frequency at high levels.
    There are a lot of veriables in your question. Maybe Tom or Ron will come along and give you a real answer.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think that SVS sub is rated at -3dB @ 20Hz so depending on how steep the rolloff is, you will at least hear down to the mis teens, again depending on your room.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i know the answer is yes, but it loses some dB in the process. Ron or Tom can give the you absolute lowest number the SVS will drop to.

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

They have a website with some info.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Steven,
    A 20-39CS (or PC) placed in the corner of your room should yield very powerful bass to 16-19Hz. Your room "gains" bass quickly below 20Hz with good location figured in.
    Indeed there is more and more bass below that point but you may not miss it much. A 16-46 will reach 10-14Hz with good output but give up a few dBs of upper bass "punch" to get that. We often suggest dual 16-46s for this reason, esp. for large rooms or folks that want to really crank it.
    Near reference level bass below 20Hz is something you have got to hear/feel to believe.
    There's a bit more on all of this here:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faqs.htm
    PS, that PSB may be "rated" at 24Hz but ask them what sound pressure level (SPL) can be achieved with less than 10% distortion at that frequency. If you get an answer you might be suprised to find out that it could be so low a volume that you can't even hear it. This rating without an SPL figure is meaningless.
    Ron
    [Edited last by SVS-Ron on October 18, 2001 at 06:48 PM]

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I think it's also worth noting we *spec* our subwoofers based on their actual response curves...using a GROUNDPLANE method. This means we measure the subwoofer outside..about 75ft from the nearest reflective boundary.I place a mic 2 meters from the subwoofer for this.(this = a typical 1m anechoic measurement). We also post the actual response curves(warts and all) on the website for all to see.
    If we specced our subwoofers per some *in room standard* ...we'd probably post something like...
    20-39cs(15-100hz).
    If anyone has a 20-39 and is playing around with spectraplus...they could easily verify it will offer strong energy into the mid teens in a 1500-2500 cu-ft room.
    TV