Will the Spiderman 1967 cartoons be edited?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Carlos Garcia, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

I keep reading that the 1967 Spiderman cartoons (the one with that cool theme song) will have a new music track. Can anyone elaborate on this? I want to see this show in all its original glory. So many old shows are being released with new music tracks, that it's hard to call them nostalgic anymore. Anyone who's seen the GUMBY set knows what I'm talking about. I don't remember hearing the music on those DVDs before. Will Spiderman be the same thing? I wonder what else will be edited from the orignal!

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Sources??? The only thing remotely close to this that I have heard is that Aerosmith recorded a version of the theme song that appeared in the first movie version...

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    it's actually spelled Spider-Man.
    i thought i read somewere that the sound effects and music was newly recorded possibly for the set.

i wish i could find the lnk.

4. Carlos Garcia

Yeah, I read the same thing, but it was a long article. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it anywhere. If anyone has seen this article or knows a link, please post it. This is a bit disturbing to me, since this appears to be a trend with older shows. The Gumby DVD set that was released didn't use the original music either. Also the "Underdog" show only contained episodes of Underdog, but didn't show the other cartoons within the show, like Commander McBragg, Go Go Gophers, Tennessee Tuxedo or the others, nor did it include the classic cliff-hangers at the end. More and more TV shows are being released on DVD differently than their original TV appearance. Soon we won't even recognize the shows they'll claim were the "classics" we grew up with. I really hope they keep the original music for Spider-Man, because I think it's what made the show special. Please stop tampering with our nostalgic TV shows!

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i read of the music and sound effects edits too, can't remember where, and thats whats preventing me from pre-ordering this (or even getting excited about it yet).

i'm ok with them cleaning up the image (maybe toon-zone has some info here), but if they change the music it will make the whole release worthless, imo.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

If this is true, somebody needs to contact Disney right away and let them know what an enormous mistake they're making...

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA... whooo... thanks, I needed that.

Disney, aquiescing to customer concerns? That's a good one. While they did change The Nutty Professor (after releasing an incorrect copy) they aren't known for giving a damn about the customer.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    This is really sad news, the soubdtracks were the most charming part of the show!

Joe Perry From Aerosmith did the theme song for the '92 spider-Man cartoon, I think.

I was really excited for this, but I'm going to wait for some reviews before I buy now.[​IMG]

9. Carlos Garcia

Well now that word has leaked out and potential customers are angry, it would be nice if we could hear the official word on just what HAS been done with this set. Will it only be a remastered picture (which I think would be great), or will it be a totally revamped music and sound effects track? If this is the case, I won't even bother to rent the set, let alone buy it. Need we remind those who distribute nostalgic DVDs, the main reason older folks buy these sets is because they want to try and re-capture many memories these shows gave us while growing up. We can hardly do that if we watch something we don't even recognize. Just once I'd love to see a classic old show the way it aired!

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Perhaps Gord might be able to contact somebody from Disney to inquire as with the recent Jonny Quest concern?

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

"I keep reading that..."
    "i thought i read somewere..."
    "Yeah, I read the same thing..."
    "i read of the music and sound effects edits too, can't remember where..."
    "If this is true, somebody needs to contact Disney right away..."
    "This is really sad news..."
    "Well now that word has leaked out and potential customers are angry..."

Are you listening to yourselves? [​IMG] That last one is really the clincher!

Marco, you at least have a sensible solution to the issue. I don't think it's workable, though. I suppose I should let him speak for himself, but as far as I know, the odds of Gord tracking down a DVD producer at Disney - ANY one of them at all, much less for THIS particular set - are mighty slim!! Warner (Jonny Quest's studio) is a bit more accessible.

12. Carlos Garcia

This will probably wind up another one of those sets people will buy on impulse because they remember the show well. Then when they run home to play it and it somehow doesn't sound the same they'll say "What the...?". Like most other shows that have been tampered with, I bet the box won't even mention the new sound remix.

13. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

If this is true, I would like to see a big sticker on the box of this set touting "THE SHOW YOU LOVED AS A KID, BUT NOT LIKE YOU REMEMBER".

Those jazzy song segments go hand in hand with those colorful images for me. Anything else stays at the store.

C

14. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

I don't have a link to the article but it was referring to TV sales. The original film materials were restored and the sound was "spruced-up". Whether this new soundtrack will be used for the DVD is unknown.

15. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Surely they can use both?

16. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

This reminds me: One of the original '67 Spider-man cartoons is on one of the many dvd discs that came out to tie-in with the movie. It came as a bonus feature. Anyone else recall it? I wonder if it had the original music?

17. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    It did ^^^

18. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

I hear the music is exactly the same, just resotred. Everything is just spruced up, essentially, from the 1.0, or 2.0 sound to 5.1 sound. Restored episodes already air overseas.

19. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

Here's the original article from Animation Artist if anyone's interested:

Of course the article is only references TV syndication sales, and not actual DVD content.

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

that is exactly it.

what does that mean though?