Will the Spider-Man trailer get pulled?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

The Twin Towers feature prominently at the end of this trailer, and I just wondered if continuing to show it would be considered "in poor taste".
    On a related note, I found it very classy of eBay to forbid any sales of WTC/Pentagon-related items. The ghouls were out in full force last night trying to sell WTC postcards, posters, etc. before the site put a stop to it.
    My best to all.
    ------------------
    Scott
    Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
    AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

3. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

What about the rest of the movie?
    I'm sure there are scenes with the towers in the background.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

My personal reaction at least is - do we really want to forget that the WTC ever was there? Yes, with thus-far unreleased movies it will be strange to see them still standing as they did before the world changed, but... there are many movies out there where the WTC is part of the landscape.
    Personally I hope these movies don't get pulled because of this tragedy.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I asked my friend working on the movie last night the very same question. He said that they had quite a few shots that dealt with the towers (guessing in the Green Goblin chase, he won't say) already completed, but that Sony had given them all the day off, so he assumed they wouldn't make a desicion until later in the week
    Jeff Kleist

6. Damian

Damian Agent

They should remain, at least as a memorial for all those that died.
    ------------------
    -Damian

7. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

They should remain.
    I agree that the trailer and poster should be pulled for the time being. But by the time the film is released, the site of Spider-Man swinging past the Towers will be a fittng tribute to the Towers and the people that have been affected by yesterday's events.
    The film is not just about the man, it's about the city he calls home.
    Gary
    ------------------
    "My life has a superb cast, but I can't figure out the plot..."
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think they should keep them in there and dedicate the film to the people who lost their lives in one of our country's cherished monuments.

9. Ken_Pro

Ken_Pro Extra

I think they should just make their movies and stop thinking they're the center of the frickin' universe and tearing their hair out over whether we'll all have a collective aneurysm just because the WTC shows up in their stupid comic-book movie.
    Anyone in Hollywood fussing over this is a pretentious jerk. As if pulling a trailer will make us feel better about the world......unbelievable.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

It would be in bad taste to keep running the trailer if the WTC is in it (which it is). Its not really a moral thing. It would be in bad taste to show Independance Day on TV or release Big Trouble, not moral.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

12. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    A friend in advertising told me tonight that the poster is indeed being recalled.
    ------------------
    Michael Caicedo
    Winter Park, FL
    - At my signal, unleash hell...

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Theatres were asked to stop showing the trailer. The trailers for "Collateral Damage" and "Big Trouble" were also pulled (wasn't sure why they wanted Big Trouble off, it's a comedy that takes place in Miami- the only thing I noticed was a joke about getting a missile).
    In 10 years I've never before seen trailers get pulled for anything that happened. After the Colorado high school shootings I expected some movies to get delayed, but nothing really did (I heard "Fight Club" was to have been released around then and was pushed til fall, but they kept that fairly low-profile.) Kind of interesting since in 2 weeks I'll be leaving the theatre business for the first time in 10 years (going into retail, might go back to theatres later if I miss it too much [​IMG] )

14. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Here's an article detailing the changes the studios are doing to there schedules.
    Neil
    ------------------
    "Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

15. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

16. Damian

Damian Agent

Why would it be bad taste to show films, posters and movie trailers that include shots of the world trade center?
    Are we now thinking that by removing their images from these forms of media, we are some how removing the disaster that happened there? They have been a fixture of New York for many many years, and now we want to erase them from our memories because of what happened?
    I think that's a load of crap.
    ------------------
    -Damian

17. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Remove it!!
    People will say the producers are trying to capitialize on it.

18. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Damian, I don't think that they want to erase it from memories at all, its just that now is really not the time to use that image to promote your movie. Not only would it be distateful for those who it would upset, but even if you don't have a big problem seeing this trailer I doubt Spidey using the towers for a web exactly gives you the warm and fuzzies. The original trailer relied on the WTC having a certain emotional association to the city. That emotion has just been significantly changed.

19. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I saw the trailer and I agree that it should have been pulled. It is hard enough to watch the towers come down over and over again on the news. People going to the movies this week probably want to get away from reality for a couple of hours. Besides, the pullback shot revealing the towers originally provoked a response of irony, but thinking about the trailer now, it would produce feelings of shock and exploitation.

20. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

If you had a loved one still unaccounted for, or worse, confirmed a victim, say you wanted to get your mind off of things by attending a movie. Then you get a large shot of the twin towers in what is supposed to be a suspense-filled, high-energy scene. Would you really think it wouldn't bring back some bad thoughts, when you went there to try and break the monotony of your current plight? Come on! We're not talking about banning their usage. We're talking about not showing them while loved ones are still deep within the remains of said edifices while you wait impotently for word. I don't think there's any question it's a good move. Later it will be ok. Now, no thanks.
    ------------------
    Love kills hate.