will the sound stay contained in my HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Earl J, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

My living room has an 18' high ceiling and is about 30x15. Personally I think that most of that height is a waste and I'm entertaining the idea of a dedicated home theater constructed above the living room. This would give the living room about a 9' ceiling and the home theater about an 8' ceiling. Make sense so far?

If I went ahead with this, the dedicated home theater would share walls with the master bedroom and another bedroom. Will it be possible to build this home theater so that 99.9% of the sound is contained into that room? Would the bass still be an issue?

By the way, I don't plan on making this a DIY project and would likely use a professional contractor. Thanks for your help.

Earl

2. Scott Jelsma

Scott Jelsma Auditioning

Earl, Building a sound-proof (or nearly sound proof) room is not an easy task. A typical approach that seems to be used frequently is the "room within a room" concept. The essence of this is that the walls, ceiling, and floor of the sound-proofed room should not make direct contact with the rest of the house. Controlling bass is especially difficult. Check out this site http://www.usg.com/Design_Solutions/...eofcontent.asp for more information on sound control.
    If you hire a contractor to build your room, I would recommend finding someone who has specific experience with sound-control building techniques.

3. MikePon

MikePon Extra

There is also a system called "Iso-Wall" from ASC.
    www.asc-soundproof.com The sound engineers at this company are of the opinion that the room within a room concept will help but some of the bass will still transmit. A combination of the room within a room and the Iso-Wall will eliminate most of the bass. I'm not sure you will get 99.9% of the bass. 24" solid concrete walls will stop 100% of the bass as long as you have no doors to get into it and a way of supporting the weight. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Scott and Mike, thanks for your advice and those links. It's good to know that it is atleast possible to reduce most of the sound. Scott, I definitely agree that I should hire someone with sound-proofing experience to do the job. The reason why it's such a concern is because this room would pretty much be in the center of the house. I have my new borns room about 10' from where this room would be. I don't want to teach him to be a bass junky for atleast another year or two [​IMG]

5. Scott Jelsma

Scott Jelsma Auditioning

Earl,

Keep us posted on the progress of your project. I would really like to know what kind of sound-proofing system your builder uses and how happy you are with the results.

6. Dennis Erskine