Will the Sear Tech be able to fix my Wega's Uneven Brightness problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John David Rage, Jul 31, 2001.

1. John David Rage

I'm getting tired of seeing bright images "bleed " into say the black bars of a anamorphic/letter box film. I know that the black bars are to remain black at all times.My parent's GAOO doesn't have this problem the black bars stay black at all times. Also I get this "blue line" on the left hand side of my screen, really noticeable when I watch "Pitch Black"...I can adjust "sub brightness" to compensate but then my black level ends up being way too dark...The tech is coming over next week, I'm still under warranty , so it's all good. Hope he can fix my problems [​IMG]

2. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

If you have a KV16 or less (KV13, etc), NO! The XBR's can be fixed, well, some of them can.
    My Wega is going back to Sears next week, to be replaced with THIS...
    [​IMG]
    The Panasonic 47WX49! [​IMG] I got a full credit for the set and the stand, so this only cost me an additional $106.01. Yeah baby!!
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

3. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

John, If the Sears tech is going to replace the now infamous coil, then I would guess the answer to your question is no. Sears replaced the coil in my 36FS13 yesterday, and I don't think it made any difference. I also am leaning towards replacing my WEGA with the Panny 47" HDTV.

4. John David Rage

That is bad news [​IMG], now why wouldn't they be able to fix a problem like this. I mean, you buy this great tv then here is a problem witch you find out that even after having it looked at by a tech, you are stuck with the way you bought it. Now that's just stupid. I bought this tv last year before christmas and it's still under warranty. I would fully like to enjoy it but the damn "un-even " brightness is not something that I can really live with. I mean having this problem also kills of my blacks...they are not a deep as they should be.

5. Matt_Stevens

It also gets worse over time. It's a flaw in the design of the set, which has been fixed for the 2002 models.
    Push hard with them and state, flat out, if the problem does not 100% go away, you want a full credit. Let them know you know of others that have this problem and that they (me) would be glad to talk to them about it.
    ------------------

6. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

Hey Matt!!
    You say "fixed" in the 2002 models? Would this include the xbr450?

7. Matt_Stevens

Yes. I put one of the XBR450's through a truly insane set of tests at Circuit City last week, using a floor model DVD player and a number of what I term "Problem" DVDs (because they are dark and cause problems on my current Wega).
    The XBR450 passed with flying colors. While there was a very, very slight difference in brightness between one side and the next, it was gradual and could only be seen if you paused a DVD and slowly looked at the picture from one side to the next. Otherwise, it could not be seen.
    No streaking/shadow casting either. If it were not so damn expensive, I would have bought the sucker.
    I also looked at the slightly lower end 36" Wega, the one with a charcaol color that can do 480p and 960i (but not 1080i, like the XBR450) and it passed too.
    Still, it is hundreds more than the KV lines.
    ------------------

8. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Matt,
    I've been thinking about picking up a KV32FS13...which is the current model. Not sure if your statement about "2002 models being fixed" applies to this set.
    Do you know if this set has been fixed from the blackness problem?
    Thanks for your help,
    Ed

9. Matt_Stevens

I was not able to look at one of those. Sony told me flat out that any new "charcoal" colored sets are fixed. The older Silver models, maybe not. They still usedthe older, unupdated design, so you are playing with fire if you buy one. [​IMG]
    Best thing to do is hook a DVD player up to one and start testing with a 2.35:1 anamorphic DVD (the problem is easiest seen in the encoded black bars under the bright lighting conditions at department stores).
    ------------------

10. Chris Speights

Chris Speights Auditioning

I have the 36FS13 and it has the uneven brightness problem. I got the TV because I read that the choke could be upgraded / replaced or something, but KevinO says it didn't fix his so now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I did get a 5 year warranty with a lemon policy from Good Guys so maybe I will wait until the next year models come out or until I can pay the difference for an XBR 450. Other than this though, I'm really happy with it.
    Chris