What's new

Will the rest of the roadshows make it to bluray? (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Douglas R said:
Ideally, roadshow to me means 65mm neg or Technirama 70 but not 35mm or 70mm blow ups from standard 35mm, so some of the above I'd disqualify!
A roadshow is a roadshow, regardless of the format. DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, FUNNY GIRL and GONE WITH THE WIND were some of the biggest and most successful roadshows of the sixties and all were blow-ups from 35mm.

I'd vote for AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS, STAR!, THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH and such guilty pleasures as THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE AND PEPE.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Rob_Ray said:
A roadshow is a roadshow, regardless of the format..
Oh, I definitely agree! I only listed the 65/70 millimeter films because that was the OP's reference.

I'm definitely up for The Happiest Millionaire so I can replace the old non-anamorphic DVD and Sweet Charity, this time with an inexplicably cut scene put back in.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Lord Jim gets a poor review from the Beaver . . . seems as if putting two versions on the same disc has resulted in a lack of quality. I don't have much hope for this title.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
ahollis said:
Don't hold your breath on a couple of then. For as with The Alamo, MGM/UA controls Song of Noraway, Krakatoa East of Java, Hallelujah Trail and The Greatest Story Ever Told.Of course there was a Blu of The Greatest Story Ever Told, but it needs to be replaced as the transfer is deplorable. Mr. Lime on the Kino Thread as indicated there are major problems with the existing transfer of Hallelujah Trail.
SONG OF NORWAY and KRAKATOA are owned by Disney through their ABC acquisition. I think NORWAY is safe, but talking a Disney person, KRAKATOA's 70mm negative was missing and the master 6 track soundtrack was decomposed beyond saving. The good news, they found the original negative and everything was saved and preserved except the first and last reels. The good news is they can get those 2 reels from another source and they have several 70mm original 6-track prints that the sound can be retrieved, but so far, no plans to actually restore it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
John Morgan said:
SONG OF NORWAY and KRAKATOA are owned by Disney through their ABC acquisition. I think NORWAY is safe, but talking a Disney person, KRAKATOA's 70mm negative was missing and the master 6 track soundtrack was decomposed beyond saving. The good news, they found the original negative and everything was saved and preserved except the first and last reels. The good news is they can get those 2 reels from another source and they have several 70mm original 6-track prints that the sound can be retrieved, but so far, no plans to actually restore it.
Great news, but until MGM's lease with Disney/ABC is over I have doubts we will ever see the Roadshow versions of those films. I actually had to get a Region 2 release of Krakatoa to get an anamorphic transfer of it. Which MGM has not delivered.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
Great news, but until MGM's lease with Disney/ABC is over I have doubts we will ever see the Roadshow versions of those films. I actually had to get a Region 2 release of Krakatoa to get an anamorphic transfer of it. Which MGM has not delivered.
From which R2 country? England, Germany, Italy? I'd like to retire my non anamorphic R1 DVD.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
AdrianTurner said:
Lord Jim gets a poor review from the Beaver . . . seems as if putting two versions on the same disc has resulted in a lack of quality. I don't have much hope for this title.
Yes, the caps make it look smeared and waxy. Not good news.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The Amazon UK site says 125mins which would be PAL speed up from 131mins. However, 147mins was presented to the British Censorship before being cut. Apparently, a lot of it was made in Italy.

I did walk in on this film in a TV screening in Detroit on a 4pm movie about 1972. It had the title Volcano and I guessed it was Krakatoa at that stage.

Another that had all the Roadshow bells & whistles was Hawaii which had been 189m and General Release was 162mins. I have read theRoadshow was issued on VHS & Laserdisc with best available elements and then the shorter version from the "best available" elements. TCM is said to have played both versions. This was not 70mm.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
moviepas said:
The Amazon UK site says 125mins which would be PAL speed up from 131mins. However, 147mins was presented to the British Censorship before being cut. Apparently, a lot of it was made in Italy.I did walk in on this film in a TV screening in Detroit on a 4pm movie about 1972. It had the title Volcano and I guessed it was Krakatoa at that stage.Another that had all the Roadshow bells & whistles was Hawaii which had been 189m and General Release was 162mins. I have read theRoadshow was issued on VHS & Laserdisc with best available elements and then the shorter version from the "best available" elements. TCM is said to have played both versions. This was not 70mm.
Yes there is Pal speed up but there is not an Overture or intermission which could account for some of the extra running time from the Censorship boards time. It is essentially the same same as the MGM DVD but it is anamorphic, while the Region 1 disks are not. I have the HAWAII laserdisc with the bells and whistles. When was announced for DVD I sent a letter to the guy in charge of Home Entertainment asking that they try to give us that version. No response nor roadshow DVD. It did not even have the intermission.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I would think Fox would like to have HD masters of all their TODD-AO films. I would think that even something less than 4K could be released for the remaining TODD-AO films that were not big money makers and done at a fairly low cost[

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
trajan said:
I would think Fox would like to have HD masters of all their TODD-AO films. I would think that even something less than 4K could be released for the remaining TODD-AO films that were not big money makers and done at a fairly low cost[

4k scanning is not even that expensive anymore but what follows the scan can cost quite a bit more if properly done in 4k.

From what I hear Can-Can has been scanned in 8k anyway so it is only a matter of time when it will come and that leaves I think Dr. Dolittle and Star! which I am sure will eventually get at least a 4k scan - the question is if they will stay 4k or be taken down to 2k.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Thomas T said:
Thanks a trillion! I've put it in my amazon.uk cart. I've shot my DVD budget for July so I'll have to wait for August.
If I remember the details on the back cover of this UK DVD states 1.85.1 Stereo when the disc itself is 2.35.1 Mono,it is pretty good PQ.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I was thinking of some of the oddball films that were filmed partially in 70mm such as The Horsemen (1971), which was slated to be given a roadshow presentation, but the idea was eventually withdrawn, and Mackenna's Gold, which was filmed mostly in 70mm with some 35mm segments. I would gladly pay a higher price for top notch transfers of films such as these, and the other unreleased 70mm films.

mark brown

Supporting Actor
Not totally off subject, i read where Tarantino is dusting off the old Ultra Panavision lenses for his upcoming western in 70mm! They were last used for Kharrtoum.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
mark brown said:
Not totally off subject, i read where Tarantino is dusting off the old Ultra Panavision lenses for his upcoming western in 70mm! They were last used for Kharrtoum.

Yes, The Hateful Eight, due to be released in November. I also think this will have some roadshow elements such as an overture, and a film projected aspect ratio of 2.75:1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks