What's new

will the pioneer 1014 do this? (1 Viewer)

Steve Rabbit

Agent
I am in planning stages for my HT while building the cabinets for speakers, and am trying to conceptualize the signal chain I will use.

I am looking at the cambridge 540 dvd player at this time, but I may decide to go with a different unit. regardless, the plan is to run a 6 channel RCA cable from my DVD player to my reciever or preamp, however I decide to run in the far future. at the moment, I am looking at the pioneer 1014.

here is what I would like to know:

If I can, what I plan to do is take those 7 channels of amplification and use the standard 5 for 5.1, naturally. the secondary surround channels I want to link to the standard surround channels to run surround low frequency drivers but using the same signal as the regular 5.1 surround signal.

and finally, in the ideal world I will be able to run a fullrange signal to all the fronts, but use the onboard crossover for one set of surrounds at 80 Hz up and 40-50 Hz and down for the second set. Again, this is while taking signal from the standard surround signal taken analog from the DVD player.

will the pioneer do this for me? or am I stuck purchasing a seperate amplifier to accomplish this?

James Phung

Second Unit
Looks like you want to bi amp your surrounds using your rear surrounds as the 2nd amp.

I don't believe the 1014 can do this. You can use your rear surrounds to bi amp your fronts.

You cannot set your rear surronds to large if your surrounds are set to small.

You can only set one crossover for all speakers on the 1014. You can't for example set 50 for fronts and 80 for surrounds.

Hope that helps. :)

Steve Rabbit

Agent
it does, very much.

but does the 1014 have analog inputs? I can get around my issues with the 1014 crossover by simply using external processing, but only if I can use the 1014 as a preamp+amp, and disable all processing.

I see on the website it has 8 inputs. does this mean individual line level inputs for each channel plus subwoofer?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
it has analog inputs. they appear to be 7.1 in at first glance. Hopefully someone that owns the unit can confirm this for you. I don't think you want to look at "analog inputs" but rahter "multichannel" inputs. These are inputs for each speaker seperately.

Steve Rabbit

Agent
what is the difference between analog and multi channel?

I had assumed each input if it had a seperate input for the reciever, and each output from the dvd-a player (looking at the cambridge 540), labeled per channel, were simple sine wave analog outputs

am I wrong?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
No...they are analog...but the specifications for the pioneer list analog inputs and multichannel inputs. This is simply a way to differentiate between the two. When they refer to "analog" inputs they mean stereo R/L inputs. So there are 8 pairs of those. When they say "multi-channel" they are referring to a set of analog inputs meant for each individual speaker. They list this as 7.1 which makes sense as thats the number of speakers that need to be inputted to take advantage of the 7 channel receiver

Steve Rabbit

Agent
in that case, how does the multi channel input work concerning speaker routing for the 7 channel amplifier versus only having 6 channels of input?

are the rear surround amplifier channels fed signal from a selectable source from within the pioneer unit, front or surround, or is it front only? or do the analog multichannel inputs render the rear surround amplifier channels useless?

Steve Rabbit

Agent
so what you are saying, basically, is that if I bought this pioneer unit, is that I would be paying "premium" for a 7 channel amplifier, a 7 channel preamp, and all the other featres, and would only be able to use it as a 5 channel preamp and 5 channel amplifier? remember, I am not looking for 7 independant signals, but merely 5 independant signals used in a 7 channel amplifier, with the surround signal fed to all four surround amplifier channels.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
you would do that by using a digital out from a source and using pro logic IIx on the signal. This will get you a simulated 7.1 I think you are asking for. However, none will technically be independent. All I know is my current receiver does not have the ability to do PLII over any 6 channel input so if this has changed, someone can chime in

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Correct, the 1014 only features 5.1 inputs (6-channel input). And I don't believe any processing is done when the mutli-channel input is active, so I'm 99% sure it would not be possible to use PLIIx or the "virtual surround back" feature to send signals to the surround back channels. Only the surround channels would get signals. However I can't test this for you as I only have a 5.1 setup. Maybe someone else can?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks