Will the Panny PT-47WX53 Be Compatible With HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Larry Sutliff, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I've been reading the threads in the software section, and I'm getting excited about the prospect of HD movies, whichever format wins. But will the Panny PT-47WX53 and similiar televisions be compatible with these formats? The set does have a DVI input, but now I'm reading that some DVI inputs may be outdated and incompatible with these new formats. Does anyone know whether this television is one of those sets that won't be compatible? Any info appreciated, thanks much!

2. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

The main issue are the two different format. You cannot play a Blu-Ray disc in a HD-DVD player and you cannot play a HD-DVD disc in a Bly-Ray player. So, there are two different standards right now and some studios, like Sony, are going with Blu-Ray and some studio like Universal are going with HD-DVD. Panasonic are going to make a Blu-Ray players and Toshiba has a HD-Player coming out at the end of the year. So, its a battle.

Even if you buy a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player, there will be very little content for it because it will take some time for the studios to make products in either formats.

Plus, the players won't be cheap at first until the mass consumer see a need to upgrade, which will take some time.

Whoever wins the battle, you are must likely going to get a new TV first before buying a new player. Unless, you are an early adopter and willing to take a chance that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will be the standard, many of us won't go out and buy a $1000 player and be force to buy another one because the format doesn't exist anymore.

High Res DVD's is still along ways off.

Upconverting standard def DVD's is more likely going to happen faster than HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

3. Larry Sutliff

Thanks for the information, but what I'm really interested in is if the DVI input on my television will be able to handle HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, or whatever format comes down the pike. If a format comes out with a lot of software that I like and it's not exorbitantly expensive(say, five grand), then I'll buy it, as long as it is compatible with what I have right now. And it's not that far off-there have been software announcements for HD-DVD from Warners, Paramount and Universal for late '05/early '06.

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

If you are willing to spend five grand on a DVD player, you can buy another display that will be compatible with the player [​IMG].

Most likely, your DVI connection will be still good. Most likely component connections will be still good also.

Its a crap shoot.

Both format looks very impressive. "I-Robot" was this year hit at CES for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray demo.

5. Larry Sutliff

I was saying that five grand was an exorbitant price, not that I want to spend that. I guess I'm not expressing myself in this thread very well.[​IMG]

The HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will not be compatible with component.

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

There are cables that will go to DVI to HDMI and vice versa. I have HDMI on my Panny 47x54.

7. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

HD-DVD is said to only have HDMI. You MAY be able to use a HDMI to DVI cable IF your DVI is HDCP compatible. If not your screwed. Even if it is, you may still have issures. Go to this tread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=222246
    Have a read. It is being talked about and hashed out there.

8. Larry Sutliff

Thanks for the information, fellas.