Will the Panasonic RA60 be an improvement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Murphy, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Michael Murphy

OK folks I need some advice. I currently own a Sony S-360 DVD player that is still working just fine. Never have had any of the C-13 errors that this unit is famous for or any other problems for that matter. My question is would I see any improvement in picture or sound if I were to pick up a Panasonic RA60 player. I don’t have any need or use for progressive scan. I would like to have DVD-A but I can’t justify buying it to play just a couple of the DVD-A’s that are out there. Also, 6th Ave is selling the RA60 for $117.00 on close out right now. At this price it seems like a no brainer but I need to be able to show my wife its got a better picture or sound. So what do you think? Better picture? Sound? Or just a case of upgradeitis?

2. NatL

NatL Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how good the RA60 is, but I too have an older Sony DVD player. Even though I have an RPTV I am just going to stick with my player for a while and not go to progressive. I just think there is a lot of DVD technology on the horizon and if you've got a unit that plays well for you, why change now? Especially if you really don't need progressive.

DVD-R, Hi-def, etc... all around the corner.

N

3. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Michael, I purchased the PANNY about two months ago on closeout from Circuit City. I think it's a great player and DVD-A is awesome !!...The video performance is great, it also has the capabilities of being altered with (different user modes plus your personal preference).

5. Michael Murphy

James,
    Nope, no knocking on wood around here. I'm trying to tempt fate. I'm thinking that if I keep telling folks that my Sony S-360 HAS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS the darn thing might finally give up the ghost. Then I would "have to" buy a new player.[​IMG] Hehe.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, whether the 'RA60 gives you a better picture than the 'S360 or not, DVD-Audio is easily worth $117. I seriously doubt the 'RA60 will give you a picture that is inferior to the 'S360. Panasonic has done a nice job on the video side with its recent DVD players.