Will The Osbournes be released on dvd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CarlRudnert, Jul 25, 2002.

1. CarlRudnert

CarlRudnert Auditioning

Does anyone know if The Osbournes will be released on dvd?

/Rudnert

2. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I would say it certainly seems likely. MTV is owned by Viacom which owns Paramount, so I would guess that Paramount would release it. They are releasing Beavis & Butthead on DVD, so the odds of another MTV property to come to DVD seems likely. Not to mention Sharon Osbourne is a marketing shark, so I bet she'll do anything and everything possible to milk ever last cent out of that show (that is if she lives through this cancer).

3. George Cifrancis

George Cifrancis Stunt Coordinator

George
    Yes in fact Miramax will be releasing it...

Miramax Captures Osbournes on Video and DVD
    Company Acquires Worldwide Video Rights To First and Second Years of the Hit MTV Series
    NEW YORK, July 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Miramax Films and The Osbournes are proud to announce an agreement for worldwide DVD and video distribution of the first and second seasons of "The Osbournes," the innovative, hit MTV reality-based comedy series featuring Ozzy Osbourne and his unconventional family. The announcement was made today by Sharon Osbourne and Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein.

Cable television's highest rated series, "The Osbournes" is a reality show which allows MTV cameras to follow the colorful family over several months -- at home and on the road, documenting the ups, downs, highs, lows, and the just plain bizarre for viewers.

"As soon as I discussed this project with Harvey, I knew that Miramax was the right home for "The Osbournes," said Sharon Osbourne. "With the marketing plans for the DVD and video, it just had to be bleeping Miramax."

"The Osbournes have the perfect mix of family, music and drama we've always appreciated here at MMX," said Harvey Weinstein. "The show's incredible following, never-before-seen footage and other DVD extras will make 'The Osbournes' a key addition to Miramax's family of DVD and video hits."

The DVD of the first season is expected to be released in late fall 2002.

Charles Layton, executive vice president, office of the co-chairman, Steve Hutensky, evp of business affairs, and Barry Littman, vice president of Business and legal affairs, negotiated the deal on behalf of Miramax. Larry Shire, Paul Schindler and Karen Gottlieb of Grubman, Indursky & Schindler, and Colin Newman, the Osbornes' business manager, negotiated on behalf of the family.

Other highly anticipated upcoming video and DVD releases from the Miramax vault include collector's editions of Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction," (August 20,2002) and "Jackie Brown," (August 20,2002) and The Beatles' "Hard Day's Night" (September 24, 2002) along with "Amelie" and "In the Bedroom." These releases follow recent Miramax DVD and video hits like Dimension Films' "The Others" (Miramax's highest grossing DVD) "Bridget Jones' Diary", Kevin Smith's "Chasing Amy", "Clerks" and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" and "Good Will Hunting," the highest grossing DVD/video in company history.

SOURCE: Miramax Films

4. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Bleeping Miramax! They'll probably leave all the bleeps in.

5. Chad Parks

Chad Parks Stunt Coordinator

I think it's far funnier with the bleeps.

6. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

I actully would prefer it bleeped. It adds the show's cheese factor. [​IMG]
    Count me in for picking this up when released!

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I've never seen one episode of the Osbournes. Think i'll pick up the dvd as well.

8. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

9. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

By all accounts, Sharon is a "marketing shark", so I don't think Mike's comments in that respect are out of line.

In fact, alot of people have found themselves on the short end of the stick in regards to their business dealings with her.

However, the "that is if she lives through this cancer" did seem a bit cold.

With that said however, it's becoming increasingly tiresome watching people on this forum be offended by every..little..thing.

10. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    The show will be running un-bleeped next season in Canada. I can't imagine why people think it's funnier bleeped. It's annoying!

Jeff

11. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

12. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Jeff,
    I agree.
    In Germany the first season aired unbleeped. How can you understand anything with bleeps? There must be a bleep every 2 bleeping seconds, for bleeps sake. [​IMG]
    bleep... I mean...
    Chris

13. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    When CTV initially advertised the upcoming uncensored presentation of The Osbournes, it was followed by a quick mention of their sponsor, Labatt's Blue beer, and their slogan.
    However, the slogan was SLIGHTLY changed to:

14. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

15. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

16. Jim Ogilvie

Jim Ogilvie Stunt Coordinator

I have seen every episode of "The Osbournes" here on Australian TV. It aires completely bleepless.

I had the opportunity to view a few episodes with the bleeps intact.

Its absolutely amazing, the difference. The bleeps are so incredibly annoying and distracting. Every time I hear one, I think there must be a censor somewhere thinking "they will never figure out what was said there...boy, that bleep sure did its job!"

How silly and naive can one get? The bleeps are nothing more than corporations fooling other corporations by dancing around outdated broadcasting morals.

Do the bleeps really make "The Osbournes" more schedulable? Does it make it acceptable in certain markets? Do people watching it really think that no one knows what the words being bleeped out are?

Absurd!

Anyways - I *loved* the series, and will buy it on DVD the moment its released.

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Since this program will be in stereo, probably at 192kbps, why not put un unbleeped and a bleeped soundtrack on there?

18. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I was watching MTV last night and they had a documentary on The Osbournes. Not quite sure what it was exactly. I only managed to catch the tail end of it. It looked kind of like a recap of last season's episodes... kind of like a "best moments of The Osbournes", if you will.
    At the end of the show, it showed The Osbournes talking about the upcoming first season coming to DVD. Have any of you seen this?? At any rate, they said March 2003 for the DVD(s).
    Just an FYI... 'cuz I'll be all over this when it comes out. [​IMG]
    Scott.

19. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Scott, there was some news about the fact that a DVD release was in the works, but no date was ever given other than "Fall 2002", which obviously didn't happen. [​IMG]
    CNN has had several articles (here is one of them) the past few days discussing the new season of the show, Sharon's cancer and her regret about the show's intrusion during this time (and how the new season will be the last), and mentions this special you saw:

20. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

According to both EOnline and DVDFile, 3/4/03 release, uncensored, extras include 4 new episodes and a drinking game.