What's new

Will the Looney Tunes Golden Collection set be completed by 2020? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Since there were over 1,000 classic Looney Tunes cartoons made and since it seems Warner Brothers is going to release about 60 of them per year, does this mean we won't be getting every classic Looney Tunes short on DVD until at least the year 2020? Also, I'm wondering will Warner Brothers be releasing every single short ever made? I know many of them may be deemed as "racist" by today's society, but let's remember that these shorts are of historical importance. Recently Disney released "Der Fuehrer's Face", along with other controversial shorts, so I am hoping that the people at Warner Brothers also do the right thing and release every single Looney Tunes short ever made, and hopefully instead of releasing only 1 set per year and making us wait until 2020, they'll start releasing 2 or 3 sets each year to speed up our collection.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So you would rather have quantity over quality? You don't want Warner to take the time to restore each cartoon lovingly to the best condition possible? You don't want all the extras rooted in the history of the cartoons? Mmmm...allow some of us to disagree. I'll wait for 2020 if that's what it takes to bring them out with this much care.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Nope. If it means waiting 16 years for those extras, I sure don't. I would rather the restored cartoons all be released within the next 5 yrs, and if they want to release a deluxe version with documentaries and commentary tracks, I wouldn't mind seeing those in 16 yrs. However, some of us, who grew up watching these classics on TV over 35 yrs ago, don't know if we'll even be around in 16 yrs to watch the restored cartoons, let alone be sane enough to understand what we're watching LOL!

Mark Lx

Second Unit
They are cherry picking them based on PC, before quality. Forget racist, anything that suggests drinking alcohol, etc. won't be released (funny or not), despite the fact that they were made for, and now purchased on DVD by adults. I mean how do you present a drunk as a positive thing. I've never seen that in my life. I'd say 1/3, if we're lucky, will be released. Remember, when their spokesman says 1/3 are great, he means politically acceptable. How the hell would he know if they're "great". He's never watched them.

speaking of alcohol......

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
And I won't hold my breath waiting for the World War II cartoon "Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips" to appear anytime soon.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I was just making a joke. No, I am not a Jehovah's Witness. I don't agree with what they believe.

To tell you the truth, the idea of Armegeddon scares the hell out of me. I don't like talking about it. I was just trying to make a joke. I'm sorry if I insulted anyone. I'm sorry.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Carlos, I know what you intended with this comment, but I still have to say it.

There were over 1,000 cartoons made, but not all of them are classics. In fact, as I'm sure others can speak to better than I, some of them especially when they first started, and towards the end are very poor. Does this mean that I don't think these cartoons deserve to be on DVD? No, quite the contrary in fact I support the release of all of them, including those that have been censored even though I won't hold my breath.

As time goes by, and hopefully the cost of restoration goes down, and increased capacity per disc goes up, you could see this pick up even faster....so I think its a bit early...like way toooooooo early to wonder if it will take until 2020 for all of them to come out.

David is right, there is no way anyone can answer that question, with any reasonable amount of certainty.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I believe Jerry Beck has said over at the animation show forums that the next 8 volumes are planned out, so they are planning farther into the future than just a year and I think I read something a long while back that production of DVD sets may double after the second one so three and four may be released six months apart.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Well, I'm very thankful that before political correctness took away our chances of ever seeing any of these old classic "banned" cartoons, I bought a laserdisc player and all of the Looney Tunes laserdisc boxed sets. Most of the banned Looney Tunes were available on laserdiscs. These included "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips", as well as all the "Inky and the Minah Bird" cartoons, and many, many more...If Warner Brothers were smart, they would release these on DVD as well, since anyone can still get them on laserdisc through ebay and other outlets. Let's take a lesson from Disney, they released many of their wartime banned cartoons recently, and all they did was add a disclaimer in the beginning, with Leonard Maltin explaining how while these cartoons may be deemed offensive today, they weren't back in the days when they were made. It doesn't really bother me if they don't ever release them all on DVD, I still have them. However, it would be nice to own all of them looking as sharp and beautiful as the restored cartoons of the Looney Tunes Golden collection sets look.

WillardK

Second Unit

...and you are drawing this conclusion based on what data?
What is it about some animation fans that has them battling PC-windmills at every vintage release (with a particular yearning for racism)?

I'd guess WB is choosing favorites and the familiar, which include plenty of extreme violence and an occasional helping of sexual innuendo. Commentary tracks have pointed out what's probably the most violent scene in a Bugs cartoon as well as the fact that adults were the audience in mind. There is so much 'quality' to enjoy in these sets that I don't get where your complaint is coming from.

I'm all for full disclosure and wouldn't at all mind seeing everything made available. With such an enormous catalogue it only makes sense for WB to focus on popular selections. ...and if you don't understand why the more racist, less familiar cartoons aren't as popular, let's just say it's not the studio's problem. Of course, there is the somewhat embarassing Speedy Gonzalez/Slowpoke Rodriguez audio extra on vol.2 if you're desperate for something racist.

What I'd like to see personally is a disc or two or three of old Porky Pig's!

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Some of the biggest Speedy fans are Mexican. A lot of people love the way he always outsmarts Sylvester and gets the girl.

WillardK

Second Unit

...weren't offensive to whom back in the days? Or are you referring to way way back when all those bothersome minorities didn't have opinions, at least not any of significance?

I'm making a point here, btw, not just being combative for the sake of it.

WillardK

Second Unit
...and Amos and Andy had many black fans.
...and Slowpoke is merely a counter balance to Speedy's character.

which of these statements is untrue?

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator

YES! I love the black & white Porky cartoons. I was really glad to see him on the latest volume, but I want more!!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Here's my point exactly. In the old days you could put a white guy in a blackface and everyone, including blacks, would laugh. It used to be alright to poke fun at people as long as you also poked fun at yourself. Everyone took it in stride. However, today, political correctness has brainwashed the masses into thinking everything that is done should be scrutinized if it is in the least bit offensive. So why shouldn't "spoofs" be banned altogether? I suppose this means Mel Brooks, and the Zucker brothers were racist, but when the Wayans do the same thing spoofing whites, it's ok. It's this double standard that has started to tear us apart as a nation. Why should it be ok to make fun of Elmer Fudd as a moron but when you try and show a cute little African boy like Inky, everyone starts to shake in their boots? I lived through the 60s, and I saw the Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres and Hee Haw poke as much fun at country bumpkins as could be possible, and they never complained. I suppose now that everyone is allowed to have "opinions" companies should be forced to pull all those shows off the market as well? Double standard. I'm of spanish origin and I love Speedy Gonzales, consider him a Looney Tunes hero to hispanics everywhere. I even remember when people started complaining that the character was racist, and they shouldn't play those cartoons on TBS and the Cartoon Network, a flood of mail started pouring in from Mexican Americans everywhere in support of Speedy to bring him back. I suppose it was everyone other than the hispanics themselves who complained LOL!

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Ethnic humor was equal opportunity in the Warner Brothers cartoons from my standpoint. The only instances I think where they did cross the line in a totally unacceptable way then, was when they would do Civil War themed cartoons that tended to be more friendly to the South (a Tweety-Sylvester cartoon with a Civil War setting has Tweety working for the Confederacy).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks