Will "The Fast and The Furious" set a new record for DVD sales?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reginald Trent, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I've read about many people unable to find them because there were soldout. I also saw the huge black cardboard display almost empty at BestBuy. Keep in mind this was on Thursday, only one day after it went on sale.
    I saw a very wide demographic buying this DVD including many young kids and teenagers. So will "The Fast and The Furious" outsell Shrek and Gladiator to take the top spot?
    BTW I bought 4 copies for members of my family. [​IMG]

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Boy are you right about this! Over the past two days, myself and two of my freinds searched in vain, 7 different stores in my area, all gone! This was not just some casual dvd shopping excursion, it was a full blown hunt!
    Finally, we went to my local Target, and as if by magic, they had only two copies left, I snatched up both of them, one for me, and one for a friend of mine.
    I was both baffled and pissed off because in my whole dvd buying life, I have NEVER encountered this much trouble getting a dvd before, EVER! Oh well, I found it, and the nightmare is over.
    What the hell is it about this film!? It's a great film to be sure, but jeez, after all I went through to get it, you'd think it was the greatest dvd on earth!

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Wow, im surprised... this movie was pretty bad IMHO...

4. Reginald Trent

The Spice Girls sold over 18 million units so sales volume does not necessarily equate to quality. But that's not the question, do you care to address any part of the question Nick?

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I seriously doubt it. Being sold out means it has more demand than supply, but I don't think the supply is anywhere near some of the blockbuster titles. In other words they underestimated the demand, but I can't believe the demand is more than any other dvd ever made.

6. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Other than people on this forum, I have not heard too many people talking about this movie.

7. Reginald Trent

I don't talk about it outside of this forum either so that's not surprising to me.

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Geez, I know 3 people alone in my small town that got up the same morning and flocked over to Wal Mart to get it, myself makes 4, but when I got there, there were a hundred or so. I went back yesterday and they only had 2 left and told me more were on the way.

9. RobR

RobR Second Unit

I attended the LA Auto Show today and there is a booth specifically for selling The Fast and the Furious DVDs (they had two plasma monitors playing the movie). About five vehicles featured in the film were present. I saw three sets of rack for DVDs and one of them emptied out already (the show opened today).

10. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

I went to the mall to go burn some gift certificates at suncoast...When I Got there the store was mobbed with people....I made a conscious observation that EVERY person on line (the line stretched the length of the store) had a copy of FATF including myself...I had never seen anything like this yet...

-D

11. Reginald Trent

Circuit City is selling it for 16.99 for the second straight week. So this might give it even higher sales given pricematches and all.

12. Reginald Trent

Entertainment Tonight reported "The Fast And The Furious" sold almost 3 million DVDs in it's first five days. Universal unable to keep up with demand.

13. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I bought it sight unseen which I normally do not ever do, and alas, I did not like it a whole lot. Anyway, I don't see it upsetting Shrek in the final analysis based on the merits of the film and the target audience.,

15. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

It's almost unbelivable. I went into to my local K-Mart, the only store in town that sells DVD, two days after the release and they were completly sold out! I couldn't believe it, it was the first time that it ever happend. They usually have at least 50 copies of every major release just collecting dust. I can't figure out what is so good about this movie, it's just another mindless money maker. I am guessing with these strong DVD sales that there will probably be a sequel, The Fast and the Furious 2: The Search for More Money.