What's new

Will the Babylon 5 season sets be far behind?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
With Warner announcing the release of season box sets of South Park. And with their recent release of Friends season one. Does anyone think Babylon will be far behind? C'mon Warner make my happy.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've seen tell of a possible release for the fall or winter. I am cautiously optimistic.

Ooh, B5, mutliple episodes at a time, without commercials... *drool*

I'd love to take a week and watch the whole series in one shot, one season per day.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As of right now, there's simply nothing to say other than to repeat rumors and desires. As of this second, there's nothing yet in the offing from WB to say that B5 season sets are or are not on the way.
5 minutes from now, that might change. But I don't know whether it will or won't. They're being awfully tight-lipped about it, it seems. On the other hand, we wouldn't know about South Park season sets except for the USA Today article, which other than that thing has the same (lack of)information as B5 season sets...so you just never know! :D

Brian Duke

Grip
I've been busy at work and such lately and haven't caught up to the B5 threads till now, but I just want to put my 2 cents in here in case any decision makers read this forum.

I've read some of the rumors here about B5 being released with 2 eps/disc and also rumors that idea was scrapped. Let's see, that would be 55 discs and at $15-20/disc, that would be about $825-1100 for all the seasons! I love B5, but no way will I pay that kind of cash!

Release B5 seasons in Box Sets that are reasonably priced and I will buy all 5 seasons! Try to bleed me just because I like the series and they'll sit on the shelf. I hope somebody's listening, because I would like to own B5 DVDs

- Brian

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'm sure they're coming, slowly but surely. :)
JMS doesn't seem to be allowed to talk about the season sets and I would think that if Warner Bros. wasn't doing them, that they wouldn't care what he says aabout the season sets so they have to be coming! :)

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed. Babylon 5, I would dare to say, is the best TV show I've ever seen. The way the characters, the plot, and everything else UNFOLDED over 5 seasons and 3 TV movies (not counting the pilot movie) was just extrodinary. I will buy the season sets. Let us hope Warner doesn't turn asshole on us.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
SCI-FI Channel will be running a Babylon 5 Movie marathon on Sunday.
I've been begging for full season DVD releases for years!
Where is Joseph DeMartino when you need him. Joe seems to be well connected with regard to all things "Babylon 5". :)
Be seeing you!
Spence

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Like Dave said, there isn't really anything to add. Warner Bros. is not saying anything officially. JMS can't say anything, because it is the studio's perogative to make such announcements. (The last time I asked him on the newsgroup, he said, "There is nothing I can say that would not preclude others in the food-chain from commenting on this topic." A roundabout way of saying, "They're working on it, but protocol forbids me to say anything until its been officially announced." As noted, if the release had been cancelled, JMS would be perfectly free to say so, and I'm sure he would have, based on my years of translating his posts from the original Vorlon.
As for a 2-episode per disc, individual disc release (a la ST:TOS) that is exactly what Warner Bros. had planned for late 1999 or early 2000. (This was the release that got prematurely announced on the 'web, killing the VHS sales.) They scrapped the idea. Even that far back they understood that such a release wouldn't work very well for a show like B5, where the continuing storyline would likely mean that most fans would want all of the episodes. (And given that ST:TOS didn't get the kind of reception expected from a franchise TV show on DVD - while X-Files did land-office business with full-season sets. This confirmed WB's misgivings.)
Whatever they may have done with other shows, WB realized early on that full-season sets were the only way to go with B5. The problem is that is a big up-front commitment, especially for a cult TV show whose ratings never approached those of Trek or X-Files - thus their decision to issue the two TV movies as a "test disc" before releasing an entire season.
Now, of course, WHV has reversed itself on the Friends and South Park "best of" or "theme" sets, making it even less likely that they'll do anything but a full season at a time when they release B5. So the rumor is pretty silly on the face of it, since runs counter to all recent evidence.
But there is still no official word, and likely won't be until we're much closer to the proposed release date. (Which even the rumors only vaguely give as "this fall".) So there's no news to report, and we'll all just have to wait.
Regards,
Joe

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Joseph,

Whenever that official word is... I know most of us will be hearing it here first! Right from you no doubt!

-Ric

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well, Warner is releasing the tv show "The Bachelor" on dvd. Yet, no news of B5 release. :rolleyes

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The Bachelor? That's nuts. If Paramount can't sell "Survivor" (a show I'd buy) I can't imagine WB selling The Bachelor. That's a surefire way to make them leary of season boxed sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks