Will the airport X-Ray damage my XBOX?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael Pakula, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I will be going to Saratoga Springs,NY at the end of October and will be flying to the Albany,NY since that is the closest airport but here's the thing I would like to bring my XBOX since the hotel I will be staying at offers Free Broadband Internet Access So I would like to play some online gaming when Im there. If I brought my XBOX would it get damaged by the x-ray machine in the airport?. I would also like to know if it would affect my cd player and video games.

-Mike

2. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I honestly dont see how, but double check by phoning a Microsoft help guy. They can answer all kinds of questions (the number is in the back of your manual).

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

No it won't, but the shifting and bouncing in the cabin can. It would take a pretty big 'jolt' but that can happen.

But the xray scan won't damage your xbox or erase any data. Same with your cd's and games.

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Tho it might be too heavy to have as a carry on, I would seriously try to have it as one. As Jason said, it's likely that a careless baggage handler could jolt it enough to cause a hard drive failure.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

The x-rays could do damage to the hard drive if it has enough magnetism, and I think they do. Call the airline or the airports you'll be going to and see what they have to say.

6. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

My son has been flying back and forth with his for almost 2 years now, every other weekend. No problems at all and he carries it on.

7. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I should have clarified, I have taken my xbox through the airports a dozen times only as carry on, along with laptops. The xray scanners do nothing to a hard drive. Believe me, if it did there would be thousands of businessmen ripping the airports a new one.

I don't put the xbox in the overhead bin though, just tucked under the seat. The custom travel bag for the Xbox is pretty good and fits perfectly.

8. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I was just going to say waht Jason, said. The magnetism (if it even uses it) wont do anything to your articles. If that were so, camcorders, digital cameras, and a bunch of other things would become pointless vacation accersories.

Cd's and Games will never be damaged by x-rays, as the media is permanent, and not subject to magnetism.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I was under the impression that X-ray is a light spectrum, not a serious "magnetic" force. X-ray is basically the same thing as visible light rays (both are photon based electromagnetic waves) - just a different frequency that is not absorbed as easily as visible light. This is why there is more concern for film (specifically highly sensitive film, like higher than 1000asa)... as it might be sensitive enough to be affected by high pulses of X-ray.

The walk-through metal detectors use Pulse Induction (magnetic fields) to scan you for metal- so these would be harmful to magnetic media like hard drives.

-V

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I've heard of cases where people put their laptops and hard drive-based MP3 players in the carry-on x-ray scanner and their hard drive or something else got messed up, but I read it on the Internet, so I don't really know. [​IMG]

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Well this is on the Internet too. [​IMG]

But I have run my laptop through the X-Ray scanners hundreds of times. My colleagues have run their laptops though equally large numbers of time. In the hundreds of thousands of instances that I would have had almost immediate knowledge had such a problem occurred, I can’t think of a single instance.

X-Rays don’t change bits on hard drives.

It is certainly possible that the overall travel experience damaged a hard drive, but that would likely be due to jolt or something else—not an X-Ray.