Will SVS help my Bose Acoustimass? Or upgrade fronts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Kelly

Kelly Extra

After reading all the posts, I have come to realize that the Bose Acoustimass is not highly regarded, but after listening to a few minutes tonight, it really does not sound that bad. I have to upgrade the receiver because I only have a pro logic receiver, but I am thinking of upgrading more. Will a SVS subwoofer improve my sound dramatically, or should I go ahead and replace the fronts and get the SVS later. I am planning to do all but wondering where I should start to make the most noticable improvement. Your help is appreciated!

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

How much extra are you willing to spend on new speakers or new subs? With this money, are you looking to buy 5 speakers all around, or 2 speakers for now (the rest to add later)? Will you be using this system for both music and movies?
    I would recommend getting some new speakers. In the long run, the increase in sound quality resulting from "better" drivers, crossover network, cabinet materials, and other design elements will FAR outweigh the effects of getting more headroom down low (with the SVS) IMHO.
    Down the road, you would do well to add an external sub(s) to your system.
    Of course...you could add SVS now and replace your speakers later...but I would recommend getting "better" speakers now in order to start your foundation, and then add on from there.
    Good luck!
    [Edited last by Bob_A on November 01, 2001 at 10:56 PM]
    [Edited last by Bob_A on November 01, 2001 at 11:04 PM]
    [Edited last by Bob_A on November 01, 2001 at 11:21 PM]
    [Edited last by Bob_A on November 01, 2001 at 11:24 PM]

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Oh yeah...you would probably do good to sell the entire BOSE setup...

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

A lot depends on why you feel the need to upgrade. If you think the Bose speakers sound fine except for the deep bass on music/film...then the subwoofer upgrade might be the way to go. If you just don't like the overall sound of the speakers at all...upgrade all of it...including the sub.
    We've had plenty of bose customers who ended up wiring the bass module in line with their bose mains and running them large.(running all the others small)...and using the svs for the LFE. This is definitely a bandaid(opposed to upgrading all the speakers)...but as bandaids go...they seemed to like the improvement.
    I don't think you should just upgrade the mains though...you'd kill the imaging between them and the rest of the speaker system(esp the extremely important L/C/R panning)
    TV

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Tom is correct...if you replace your mains, replace everything else too. I accidently mentioned "mains"...but I have edited my post.
    Chuck...LMAO!
    [Edited last by Bob_A on November 01, 2001 at 11:32 PM]

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Kelly, one thing to keep in mind is that the BOSE AM speakers have a frequency gap between the mains and the sub, and they also apparently do not have much energy in the highest of highs...this is one of the reasons why people do not recommend them.

8. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Kelly: It depends how far down this Home Theater road you want to go. For someone who wants a simple set up & is not a fanatic I'd recommend a Kenwood HTB. A friend of mine, who is not into technology (his vcr blinks 12:00) was extremely pleased with the ablility to get a receiver, 5 speakers and subwoofer in one shot. He has no desire to upgrade this system.
    The next step, if you're interested in making home theater a hobby, would be to sell your bose speakers on ebay and start putting together your system. I started by buying speakers at a local store that allowed full trade in for upgrades within 1 year. So I started with a Klipsch 5 speaker set, then upgraded to Mission speakers a year later.
    I started with a mid-level receiver, then sold it on ebay to upgrade as I put together the funds. (I'm on my 5th receiver now!)
    For a subwoofer, I purchased the HSU VTF2 for under $500. It was an excellent value. If I ever want to upgrade I'll have no problem getting most of my money back on a resale.
    What I'm getting at is to go slow, pick your components carefully, and understand that you will never finish your system...it will be a work in progress.
    ------------------
    HT Pic's

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you are concerned about the lost $$$ invested in the Bose Acoustimass, don't worry. Bose has a great resale value at places like ebay. You can probably get most of your money back if you replace the entire setup.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

10. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Kelly,
    What you may consider doing is using your current receiver as an amp for a SVS. Where to begin all lies in your budget. If you have $1,000 to use to upgrade, the first thing I would do is put your AM system up for sale. Preferably for a minimum of $500, but ideally for $1,000. For Bose systems, you should be able to get back about 70% of what you paid for them, but probably in the neighborhood of 60 - 70%. That would give you additional funds for new speakers. In the mean time, get the new receiver and SVS.
    Here is the frequency response of the Bose AM series:
    Sub module:
    46Hz - 200Hz
    Speakers:
    280Hz - 13,300Hz
    That was as measured by Sound and Vision. As you can see, there is next to no bass below 46Hz and nothing between 201Hz - 279Hz and nothing above 13,301Hz. In your system, a SVS will dramitically improve the low end and will likely remain in your system for several years to come.

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Bose isn't as bad as everyone around here makes you think they are. If you are happy with them for now, stick to them. One thin for sure is you MUST get rid of the Pro Logic receiver and upgrade to DD/DTS receiver. This upgrade will be very big in your ears. Next either upgrade the front three L/C/R to timbre match, or get a new sub. You will most likely need a new sub unless your Bose is the powered version. Having a sub connected with the high level inputs just isn't the same. Get a powered sub or passive one w/external amp. If I were in your spot, I would go with the receiver, the sub, then the main's/center in that order.

12. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I don't think anyone here would consider the bass module of an acoustimass system to be a subwoofer. It's really just a separated woofer. So as it sits you've got the 5 speakers of a 5.1 system. It would make sense to get an SVS to be complete.
    But you should ask yourself what you're missing most - deep bass that will shake your room or clear, accurate mids and highs.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've got super-duper cheap speakers, the name of which I won't mention, for fear of ridicule [​IMG] But to me, they sound good. And upgrading from a pro-logic to a dolby-digital reciever was a HUGE improvement, even with my ultra low-end speakers. So definitely do the receiver first.
    After that, it depends on your priorities, as others said. If you're happy with your current Bose, but your TV is bleh, maybe you'd be better off getting a new TV. Or if you don't have a DVD player (you didn't say), get that next.
    But if speakers are next, probably getting better speakers (front right/center/left) would make the most difference immediately, for both movies and music.