What's new

Will SVS get me there? (1 Viewer)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
-I've been looking into SV subwoofers lately and I'm considering the 16-46pci or 16-46cs+/(not sure of amp). I think 1 SVS should satisfy my bass needs for now(I'll get a second of the same sub when I move at the end of the summer).
-So far the sub I've liked the best was the Legacy Deep Impact($1595). It by far gave more violent, grab me and shake me bass than any other sub I've heard(mostly store demoes). Unfortunately, I can't afford it right now. If you've heard this sub, I want to match(or beat) it's quality/levels of bass.
* Will 1 or 2 SVS put me there?
* Will there be much difference in levels of bass between the Pci and CS+/with Samson S1000.
-If I go with the cs+, it pushes me a little over budget when I add the Samson amp. The Samson S1000 is on sale at a local music store(www.marsmusic.com) for $399. I saw another Samson F1200 for $359, it's rated at 600x2rms@4ohms.
* Is this just untrue, how can the more expensive amp of the same manufacturer deliver less power for more money?
* Should I go with the Samson that SVS recommends?
-There is even a Crown XLS402 400x2@4ohms for only $299.
* Will this be inferior when compared w/ the Samsons mentioned above?
By no means do I want to skimp on quality amp but I'm not rich yet. I would rather find a way to get more money than settle for something less(within reason).
Sorry for such a long post but I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to buy something I haven't heard. I still haven't ruled out other subs but from what I'm reading SVS pack the most bang for the buck.
Rest of associated equip. is Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RS-3II powered by Parasound HCA-855a/Yamaha HTR-5280 as preamp and connected to Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player.
*THANKS TO ANYONE WHO TAKES THE TIME TO ANSWER*

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
First could you please read this thread Frank:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?s=&forumid=46
From what I read on the Legacy Audio's site and given Hoffman's iron law I would be willing to bet that a single SVS 16-46CS+ or 20-39CS+ would be able to give the Deep Impact a good run for its' money. A pair of them would definately out do it.
As for the amps hopefully Tom will chime in.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Sorry about that being so long, I disabled the signature in my post becuase I couldn't find where to change it. Could someone tell me where I need to go to change my signature.

Oh yeah, what the heck is Hoffman's Iron Law?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Click on the user control panel link that you will find at the top of a forum. Then click on edit profile. It's in there.
By they way, welcome to the forum :)
Hoffman's Iron law states that in sub design you can control two of the following and the third will be dictated to you. Size (how big the enclosure is), extension (how low the sub will go) and effeciency (how much power the sub will need). That sub has a very small enclosure for 2 drivers. It also doesn't have all that much power (for such a small enclosure). So extension has to have been compromised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks