What's new

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
But why are the screen caps a bad thing? The Twilight Time caps are far superior to the other release, and the screen captures prove that.
While you can kind of see from the caps comparison that the quality of the TT Blu is superior, that's about all they're good for, as the Beaver's caps, which I assume these are, are consistently and wildly inaccurate in terms of color--for instance, his caps on the Criterion Blus of MIDNIGHT COWBOY & A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH made the images seem as if they were swathed with an excess of yellow and purple respectively, and that is not even vaguely close to what the Blus look like. This matters, because certain posters use Beaver's caps to prove that the Blu has an excess of purple, when it's very possible that coloration comes from the way the caps are taken, not in the Blu-Ray itself. In any case, all this controversy makes me want to buy the darn thing and not wait for a sale down the road, just to see what it really looks like.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I thought a lot of "Bus Stop" watching WSSRH. I remember that having a blue tinge throughout also. But again the transfer was fantastic.

busstop5127.jpg

I'd rather turn the color down and watch this in black and white if the image looks anything like your cap above. Monroe looks like she should be a member of THE WALKING DEAD cast.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather turn the color down and watch this in black and white if the image looks anything like your cap above. Monroe looks like she should be a member of THE WALKING DEAD cast.

To be fair, in Bus Stop, Monroe is very pale. I don't know if it's her actual skin color or her make up but in some of the scenes, she almost looks like she's wearing Kabuki make up. It is not an inaccurate representation. She's always looked that way in the film from the very time I saw it in 1956. No flesh or pink tones, just pure white.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
To be fair, in Bus Stop, Monroe is very pale. I don't if it's her actual skin color or her make up but in some of the scenes, she almost looks like she's wearing Kabuki make up. It is not an inaccurate representation. She's always looked that way in the film from the very time I saw it in 1956. No flesh or pink tones, just pure white.

Eek!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Just to be clear- are we talking blue or teal here? If this is like The King and I “teal” fiasco then I’m certainly not going to buy. I own this title on LD and the color/image looks fine in all its low def glory

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This feels like one of those classic Star Trek episode ending segments with Kirk, Spock and McCoy sitting around as Spock calls them illogical humans:

“I’m not sure, but I think we’ve just been insulted.”

“Oh, I’m sure.”

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Just received this from the Twilight Time sale. Yet another teal disaster - as bad if not WORSE then The King and I. Waiting for a certain member to attack me over this and defend this travesty like he did TK&I.
Great flick though! And glad I bought it regardless, but UGH.....

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just received this from the Twilight Time sale. Yet another teal disaster - as bad if not WORSE then The King and I. Waiting for a certain member to attack me over this and defend this travesty like he did TK&I.
Great flick though! And glad I bought it regardless, but UGH.....

You'll get no attack from me, sir. The absence of true white where there should be white is bad enough, but to make it a light blue instead is unforgivable.

ThadK

Second Unit
Nor from me. This was the biggest waste of money I've spent this year, and the biggest disappointment in years, period. Everyone saying this looks right is wrong.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You're welcome to think they look fine. But you'd be wrong.
Yeah, yeah, people are wrong about a lot of things, but that doesn't necessarily make you right. I'm just saying as I just got the TT disc recently and haven't had time to compare it to my MOC BD disc or the DVD that I still have of it.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
You'll get no attack from me, sir. The absence of true white where there should be white is bad enough, but to make it a light blue instead is unforgivable.

Okay, Dick, it's really time to end this silliness once and for all. So, put your handy-dandy Blu-ray of Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter in your handy-dandy Blu-ray player. Begin watching the film. Excellent. See the man with the phony beard shaving. Please tell me what color his shirt is. If the answer isn't white, I recommend a trip to the optician or, more likely, fixing the color setting on your handy-dandy viewing device. Next, watch the first scene in the office. Tony Randall's shirt, you'll note, is bluish (not tealish, mind you). Then John Williams enters. Please tell me what color his shirt is. If the answer isn't white, something is amiss and it's not the transfer. Next, we'll forget the WHITE frames on pictures in the office and Henry Jones' white shirt and the white papers on the desk of the secretary, all scenes in which there is plenty of blue, red, green, orange, yellow, and brown. Finally, for your viewing pleasure please go to the scene where Rita Marlowe arrives in New York and exits the plane. Note the lovely BLUE sky above the plane. BLUE, just like skies are on clear days. Then immediately note the airplane itself and tell me what color it is. If the answer isn't white with red lettering, something is awry somewhere and it's not the transfer. Next, note the signs the fans are carrying. Note the various shades of white that they are. Then note Rita Marlowe's fur coat. That look blue to you? Teal? Looks perfectly white to me. Finally, if there is no white and way too much BLUE, how do you explain the perfectly rendered reds, yellows, greens, golds, browns? If there was so much pushed blue none of those colors would be accurate.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Okay, Dick, it's really time to end this silliness once and for all. So, put your handy-dandy Blu-ray of Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter in your handy-dandy Blu-ray player. Begin watching the film. Excellent. See the man with the phony beard shaving. Please tell me what color his shirt is. If the answer isn't white, I recommend a trip to the optician or, more likely, fixing the color setting on your handy-dandy viewing device. Next, watch the first scene in the office. Tony Randall's shirt, you'll note, is bluish (not tealish, mind you). Then John Williams enters. Please tell me what color his shirt is. If the answer isn't white, something is amiss and it's not the transfer. Next, we'll forget the WHITE frames on pictures in the office and Henry Jones' white shirt and the white papers on the desk of the secretary, all scenes in which there is plenty of blue, red, green, orange, yellow, and brown. Finally, for your viewing pleasure please go to the scene where Rita Marlowe arrives in New York and exits the plane. Note the lovely BLUE sky above the plane. BLUE, just like skies are on clear days. Then immediately note the airplane itself and tell me what color it is. If the answer isn't white with red lettering, something is awry somewhere and it's not the transfer. Next, note the signs the fans are carrying. Note the various shades of white that they are. Then note Rita Marlowe's fur coat. That look blue to you? Teal? Looks perfectly white to me. Finally, if there is no white and way too much BLUE, how do you explain the perfectly rendered reds, yellows, greens, golds, browns? If there was so much pushed blue none of those colors would be accurate.

No need to get sarcastic with me, young fella! ;) But, as you apparently took the time to haul out your own handy-dandy Blu to check again, I will do the same and get back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks