1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? Blu-ray Review (Twilight Time)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Josh Steinberg, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    So is Fox and those other studios still using that lab and the person responsible for messing up those titles?

2. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    I just hope that someone in authority takes a second look and gives us a 'Carousel' without that awful blue bias. And I know lovers of 'The King and I' would enjoy an appropriate transfer of that too. Rodgers and Hammerstein deserved better.
    At least 'Oklahoma' and 'South Pacific' both stand as sterling examples of how these films should look. Although I'm still a youngster, I was fortunate enough to have seen all these movies on their first widescreen releases, including in Todd-AO for 'Oklahoma and 'South Pacific' and I'm grateful to all the people who made those two releases shine with such beauty on transfer to Blu ray.

ajabrams and Brent Reid like this.
  3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yeah, we have a firestorm here as has been the case with other Fox titles. Thank you for your review as I look forward to purchasing this disc and comparing it to my Region "B" Blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I didn’t see the region B version; I’d be very curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare.

5. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    They’re not the only color timer there, but yes, the same lab is being used as far as I know.

6. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    I know one shouldn't rely on 40+ year old memories, but I went to see a new wet gate print of BUS STOP at MOMA sometime in the 70's that was being given to MOMA by the film's director, Josh Logan. Apparently he approved the color timing in the print, as he spoke before the film about the wretched pink and brown versions one saw on television. Anyway, I know this was a long time ago, but that "bluish tinge" that you're complaining about was not only in this print approved by the director, but that print appeared (as far as my memory will permit) exactly the same in terms of the color timing as the Blu-Ray. The reason I remember the color of this particular print so vividly is that I was used to seeing pink and yellowish color schemes in 16mm prints and on television, and from the first shot, was really taken aback a bit by the way everything seemed too blue, though of course the flesh tones were spot on."

7. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    I can't speak for whether the color timing is correct in WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER, as I haven't seen the Blu; also all the prints I ever saw were 16mm & faded.

However, I can say that two Fox Blus that have been criticized for being "too blue': BUS STOP and WILD RIVER, look exactly the same as newly struck prints from Deluxe in the 70's that were given to MOMA by the respective directors--Josh Logan and Elia Kazan--and both gentlemen stated that the color timing was correct before the films were screened, and from what I can recall, both prints were very blue and match the Blu-rays in their color timing.

Robin9, haineshisway and Thomas T like this.
  8. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

"How dare they presume to know what those films should like! Just because they directed them, it doesn't mean they have any inkling as to how those films should look! If we say they are too blue based on our previous experiences with these films, that should be the final word!" The Official HTF Fox Anti-Blues Brigade

Robin9 likes this.
  9. Message #49 of 98 Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

That is interesting. I said the transfer is fantastic, that isn't complaining.
    Just stating an observation about the look of the film.
    :unsure:

lark144 likes this.
  10. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
  11. ThadK

ThadK Second Unit

Why are all these white dress shirts blue now, too?

Brent Reid and Mark B like this.
  12. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
    And the red sweater with blue scarf is a burgundy sweater with turquoise scarf and a gray suit a blue suit and blonde hair white with a blue wash and red lips brown and..........

Brent Reid and ThadK like this.
  13. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Please excuse me if I misunderstood your post. I simply wanted to share my experience, and my thoughts about the color timing of BUS STOP, and all those glorious blues.

Yes, the Blu is fantastic. It reproduces the experience of watching BUS STOP at MOMA with Josh Logan present. And he talked about making the film afterwards. A great raconteur. He told some funny MM stories that unfortunately I no longer remember. But I do remember the look of that print.

I never really liked BUS STOP until I saw it at MOMA. Then I fell in love with the film, as well as with Ms. Monroe's performance. And I can go back to that first experience of seeing the film simply by popping in a disc. Pretty incredible, when you think about it.

plektret and Bryan^H like this.
  14. Message #55 of 98 Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Are we really posting caps now? I give up. And anyone who thinks that brown mess resembles what this film ever looked like, well, I don't know what to tell you. I really am bowing out now but really - caps? And Beaver caps at that? And BTW, Groucho's shirt isn't white in that cap you so love to think is right - it's pink. It's white on the Blu-ray, that is the actual Blu-ray. I have the UK Blu - it's brown and I encourage all those who think that's correct to purchase it immediately.

15. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    But, directors are not DOP's or camera operators. How many people relied on Andre deToth for his opinion of the 3D on HOUSE OF WAX? Just sayin'.

ThadK likes this.
  16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This might all be a moot point soon anyway, since Disney is decimating TCFHE. Instead of debating about the color timing of these newly restored old classics on Blu-Ray, we probably just won't get them on Blu-Ray at all.

JohnMor likes this.
  17. Message #58 of 98 Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    The directors were working with the color timers at Deluxe, the lab which originally printed those films in the 1950's, so they had the original timing information, and quite possibly he spoke to the same timers that had originally supervised the printing process. As I recall, Mr. Logan said that print was taken from the original negative, not an inter positive.

btw, Andre deToth did supervise the 3D process on HOUSE OF WAX, even though he only had one eye. According to an interview he gave, he worked with a designer who put together storyboards with a great deal of depth for every set-up, so unlike most 3D films, HOUSE OF WAX looks 3D even in a flat Blu-ray, as both the depth of field and color contrast makes everything seem like it's popping out of the screen.

18. ThadK

ThadK Second Unit

The screen caps accurately reflect how these two releases look. This isn't up for debate.

Brent Reid likes this.
  19. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

But why are the screen caps a bad thing? The Twilight Time caps are far superior to the other release, and the screen captures prove that.