Will Static Ruin my Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric N, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Eric N

Eric N Auditioning

Hello! I just bought a new home theater setup. Now mind you I am not new to the Home Theater Scene as I have had one based around a Yamaha RX-V1 and B&W Speakers...but the Taxman was kind to me this year so I replaced basically my speakers and receiver with A Denon 4802 and Mirage OM-9, OM-C3 and OM-R2 (I think that's what they call them) in the rear.

Going through my routine of 'breaking-in' my system, I have been leaving on the system and playing a classical CD while I am at work. This is the third day of this...

Well I came home today and this nasty sounding static was emitting from all the speakers (the music was muffled and static distortion filled almost like on a CPU when you have a bit-rate that is too high for your system to handle and you get that distortion)...on the Denon, I was on the 5 channel mode to give equal time to each channel.

I have determined through trial and error that my Denon 4802 is defective and it is going back tomorrow (Friday.) My question is this...does anyone here think that I may have damaged my speakers?

I have tried other audio sources and everything sounds okay but again these have less than 30 hours on them and because it was in the break-in period, that this unwanted sound may have done some long-term damage.

The volume was at listening volume (those familiar with the Denon, the volume was at -25.)

I'm worried that my investment is kaput!

Please advise and make me feel better (if you can....)

Eric

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Eric

Pretty unlikely you damaged the speakers. Really unlikely you damaged the woofers. The tweeters are probably the most vulnerable. You have listened carefully since the static episode and the speakers sound fine. If you haven't listened to the center and surrounds closely you may want to do that.

After 2 days of the classical music at your listening volume the speakers were pretty well broken in. From what I remember, it is only the woofer suspension that gets a little less stiff with use. If you walked in and the woofers were bottoming out loudly, you would have reason to worry. As it stands, IMHO, you should be fine.

Artie

3. Will

Will Guest

Contrary to being a bad way to break in speakers, I believe static is a time-tested good way to break in speakers, in general. This is because static consists of many different frequencies. Just don't play it too loud for your speakers (which is always good advice as far as not damaging your speakers) and your speakers should be fine. In fact they are probably better broken in, for the experience. Playing static softly at moderate listening levels all day is perhaps a quicker way to break in your new speakers than tuning to a radio station.
    As long as the volume level wasn't extreme, your speakers should be fine!

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Wow! A defective 4802. Thats like getting a defective Mercedes. I may turn my 3802 on for 30 hours straight. I have played it 100 hours off and on.