What's new

Will Speed 5 * Collection be discontinued? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Fox has been replacing all of their 2 disc sets with 1 disc sets, and I was wondering if the same thing would happen to the new Speed 2 disc set.

Mark Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
They don't really have to since there is already a single-disc version available, though it is an old disc. But It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I'd bet that in a couple of years, sure, the new Five Star disc will go OOP and we'll see a single-disc re-issue of the first disc in the Five Star set, just like what they've been doing with everything else as of late.

Is the old, 1998, crap disc still in print? My Best Buy's got two left, but I can't imagine why Fox'd want to have that inferior product out and available at the same time the far superior Five Star set is out there. . .

Haven't seen new shipments of the 1999 Die Hard releases in a really long time--probably about a year and a half or so, well before the Die Hard Five Star edition was released. . .

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Eventually it will, I believe there are only five 5-stars available at the time. Not sure wich one is being retired in favor of speed...

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
The Sound of Music: Five Star Collection is going out-of-print in August, so with that gone we have: Speed, Cleopatra, The French Connection, Die Hard, and M*A*S*H.

(Thanks to Gareth for M*A*S*H.)

Rob T

Screenwriter
True Lies was probably meant to be the 5th, but that's been delayed. :frowning:

Gareth Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
The Five Star releases so far are:

- Independence Day (June 27th 2000) ***DISCONTINUED***
- The Sound Of Music (August 29th 2000) ***DISCONTINUED***
- Cleopatra (April 3rd 2001)
- Die Hard (July 10th 2001)
- The French Connection (September 25th 2001)
- M*A*S*H (January 8th 2002)
- Speed (July 30th 2002)

So the last five are still in print, with Cleopatra presumably the next to go (for True Lies?)

KyleK

Second Unit
I doubt that Die Hard will be discontinued, because it's in a box set. The other two Die Hards aren't 5-stars so they have no reason to discontinue those, and it would look dumb to have the first movie 1-disc and the others 2-disc. Maybe after a while Die Hard 5-star will only be available in the box set. Who knows?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I doubt that Die Hard will be discontinued, because it's in a box set. The other two Die Hards aren't 5-stars so they have no reason to discontinue those, and it would look dumb to have the first movie 1-disc and the others 2-disc.
A two-disc set doesn't need to be from the 5 Star collection to be discontinued by Fox. See The Abyss, Planet of the Apes (2001), and Big Trouble in Little China for examples. Eventually, Die Hard 5* will go out of print, and the two-disc sets 2 and 3 will probably also go out of print the same day, to be replaced by new one-disc versions of these THX and DTS discs.

-Lyle J.P.

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
Non-Five Star DVDs that have been or will soon be replaced with one-disc versions: Patton, The Abyss, Fight Club, Big Trouble in Little China, Cast Away, Planet of the Apes 2001, and From Hell. Also, The Rocky Horror Picture Show will be placed on moratorium in November. That leaves us: Romper Stomper, The French Connection, Die Hard Trilogy, Titus, Cleopatra, M*A*S*H, Moulon Rouge, and now Speed. I assume that Star Wars Episode I is untouchable, being from Lucasfilm.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Fox has realized that the uninformed public does not care about "added value material" and they are simply reducing their efforts in producing feature-packed DVDs.
Well why must they rape the already-released DVDs? I don't get it. Just leave them as they are. Lower the price if you must. This makes me very angry. I missed out on Patton.
:angry:

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I think it makes good sense: if a DVD is slipping in sales as a two-disc set, releasing a single-disc version at 60% price will still allow the public to buy the movie(and get people who don't want to shell out alot of cash to shell out some), while cutting out dead weight from their catalog. When most of the Fox DVDs on the shelf are 2-disc, I just start to say "Why?"
I wouldn't buy ID4 in a 2disc set for 22.50, but I probably will buy it for $14.89.

It is a shame that they'll go out of print, and I wish that Fox could keep them around in some capacity, but I'm sure it can't be too hard to find old copies.

Gareth Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if two-disc sets such as 'Patton', 'The Abyss', 'Fight Club' and 'Cast Away' will be re-released as Five Star Collection titles in the future?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I'm all for them going out of print if it means cleaing em out. Future shop had a rack with $5 off if you buy two of the discs that are going OOP. Got Big Trouble in Little China and The French Connection for $42 after tax-not bad for 2 double discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks