Will speakers/components affect projection LCD PQ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JoeU, Sep 27, 2006.

1. JoeU

JoeU Extra

I've got a question about an issue I noticed last night with my LCD projection set. There's a thin band (maybe a quarter of an inch or so thick) running completely across the screen at the very bottom where the color is slightly off. It's not very noticable most of the time, but you can definitely tell it's there if the image being displayed is just right. It's got that slightly bluish/purplish look that you get if you place a speaker or an electronic component too close to a CRT television set. I've got my center channel and left/right speakers right by the TV and my HD cable box is directly below it so I wondered if maybe they might be the cause, but I thought LCD sets weren't supposed to be susceptible to that problem. Like I said it's not very noticeable but it's still bugging me. Anyone know of any other possible causes?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You could always try and move each of those boxes one at a time to see if anything changes. (The center speaker should be shielded anyway. Most are.) But you are right: LCD systems aren't affected by magnetic fields like a CRT is.

Probably a problem with the display itself.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I doubt if speakers or magnetic fields are responsible. External magnetic fields would produce irregular splotches, not a uniform line or stripe.

If the same area of the screen is affected regardless of video source, it could be an optical problem such as a defect in one of the colored cellophanes that split the image into red, green,and blue sub-images. Usually having a section of the screen being slightly off color is not an electronic or digital processing problem. VCR playback occasionally has problems with a thin strip at the top and/or bottom of the screen, which is more likely to be seen with a non-CRT TV with less or no overscan.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It's very unlikely as has been stated.

But it's easy to test by turning off and removing those components from the vicintity of the display. But I would be very surprised if they had any affect(their being physically near).