Will someone tell Nvidia to slow down.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Feb 14, 2002.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

Geez...let's let the software catch up to hardware...the DOOM game isn't even out for the GF3!

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Wasn't Geforce3 supposed to be the minimum for doom 3 and quake 4? I'm still not going to upgrade my video card (or computer) until the end of this year or next year. I'll see how those 2 games run.

3. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

If you look at the specs, a GeForce 3 TI 200 can outperform one of the low end GeForce 4 cards. I have GeForce 3, and it'll stay in my machine for at least another year.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I agree, I'll wait a year too.

You can always stay one generation behind in video cards. There are no games yet available that really tax my GF3 so upgrading to a GF4, while sexy, is a waste.

5. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I don't know... I am seriously thinking of upgrading my GeForce3 to a GeForce4 Ti4600. It looks like a pretty substantial performance leap over the GF3, I like the idea of a 128meg DDR video card, and I like the fact that finally I can get a cutting edge 3D card that can also drive dual displays for working in graphic design programs etc...
    Maybe I will stick with my GF3 for a little while, as six months from now NVIDIA will have another next generation card (or a faster better version of the GF4) available... but those Ti4600s are tempting [​IMG]
    I agree though, that NVIDIA does move quickly with their development and releases, but how else are they going to crush Radion? [​IMG]

6. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I'm sticking with my GF3, upgrading my CPU (running a [email protected]), mobo and RAM, then wait 6 months and pick up a GF4....maybe.

7. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I'll be getting a GF4 Ti when they're released. My Elsa GeForce2MX @ 175/166 is getting old real fast. With my current card the choice is easy but if I had a GF3 I would wait for the new NV30 based cards.

8. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

If you have a GF3 right now, regular, TI200, or TI500, they will all be better overall than any of the GF4 MX cards.

The higher end GF4 cards are better than any GF3, but you'll notice the largest gains using FSAA at high resolutions.

I don't think swatting down $300-400 for a new GF4 is a good idea, but a better idea would be to get a GF3 TI200 or TI500 when their prices drop.

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

When will the price drop occur, since I have a GeForce 2? And if I don't upgrade how much ram it has, will it matter? (My GeForce 2 Pro has 64 megs, and I can't seem to find one with more than that in the GF3 line.)

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

You also want to look at the fact that Nvidia will debut the Geforce 5 at this time next year. Judging from some of the things I have read it will be an all new GPU with support for Direct X9. (granted some of these things are rumors but there is no doubt Nvidia and ATI are working on DX9 cards).

I have a Geforce 3 right now and I too do not see a point in upgrading. My next upgrade will be for thier next GPU. Until that time my games are running just fine right now.

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Is GF5 really expected this year? That wouldn't follow nVidia's historical release pattern. I GF4 'Ultra' in 6 months would fit better with past releases.

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I've only got a Geforce 2 and I am not feeling the need to upgrade yet...you all must like running at super high resolutions for your games with antialiasing turned on...
    When I finally do get around to upgrading I'll just build a whole new computer since this one will be 3 or so years old by that time. I'll put this one in my bedroom or kitchen or something [​IMG]

13. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

If I read correctly, Nvidia will not use the nameplate "Geforce" anymore after the G4 series. I know they'll simply upgrade and change the name, but don't expect a GeForce 5 per se.

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

15. Bill Gato

Bill Gato Stunt Coordinator

Two days ago, I logged onto Pricewatch to check for prices for my next home-built computer. My mouth dropped open when I saw that the GeForce4 Ti4600 was out.
    However, my mouth opened even further when I saw that the GeForce3 Ti 500 was going for $147! Boy, did my mind start working the figures out.
    The next day, reality slapped me in the face when I checked Pricewatch and the price for the GeForce3 Ti 500 went up to $274. Oh, well. A day late and a dollar short.
    I think I'll invest in the GeForce4 Ti 4600 and just get the mostest for my money.

16. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I just updated my TNT2 to a Geforce2 (and not even a top of the line GF2). The only time I was cutting edge was when I bought a Voodoo2 12MB the week it was released. But that went into a P100 so it wasn't really getting a full workout.

I wish Nvidia would slow down too, but I also wish the older stuff would drop in price a little faster.

17. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Does anyone know exactly what the 'HDTV' capabilities of the GF4 Ti cards are? I have read on various papers and on the NVIDIA webpage that the GF4 supports 'HDTV' in some way or another, although they do not ever seem to go into what capacity.

Do they simply mean that the GF4 has built in output resolution and refresh rates that are compatable with most HD-RPTVs?

Can anyone provide the finer details?

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

19. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

seeing how i just read that John Carmack said the Geforce 3 will run Doom 3 faster than a Geforce 4...ill stick with my TI200 thank you

20. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

Bill_Harris, John Carmack was no doubt talking about the Geforce 4 MX, and not the Geforce 4 Ti.