Will Solid state pre-amps do well with tube amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by etsoi, Jul 26, 2002.

1. etsoi

etsoi Extra

Hi, I have a Cary Audio CAD805B and I am getting a new pre-amp. I am really interested of getting Jeff Rowland's pre-amp. Will they sound good together? Or should I just get a Cary tube pre-amp? And can I use a CD play with digital volume control with CAD805? Thank you guys!

2. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I'm running a solid state preamp with a pair of tube monoblocks. The only real "matching" you need to worry about with tubes is your speakers and amp. The Rowland/Cary should create not problems.

I'm assuming you're asking if you can use the variable out on your CD player straight into the power amp. If so, this is no problem although it may not sound as good as using a real preamp.

-Mike...

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Are you talking about the Synergy IIi?

-rob

4. etsoi

etsoi Extra

No, since the newer Jeff Rowlands don't have single ended connections. I am talking about the Consummate. I was gonna either get Jeff Rowland's Consummate with Model 8 or Cary SLP98L with CAD805B. I chose Cary for the sweet and excellent sound. Now I have a chance to buy a used Consummate and I like Jeff Rowland's sound as well. SO I am wondering whether it will be a good match with my CAD805B, maybe I will have the best of both world. Thank you!