What's new

Will "Sightings" Ever be released on DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Mike T

Agent
HenryDuBrow said:
Should releases be 'by subject' (ala "Unsolved Mysteries"), or full episodes, warts and all ?
I definitely want full episodes ("warts and all"), full-season releases. (I know I've already said this, but it bears repeating.) I suppose I would accept "by subject" releases (if that is the ONLY way that they would do it), but I would much prefer the full-episode season treatment. I like to watch a show on DVD exactly the way I remember it when it first aired, no deletions. It would also be nice if they included original air dates for each episode (month/day/year).
I have the three Sightings VHS tapes that were sold ten years ago, which featured segments compiled by subject. Even though I did enjoy them, I really hated that they didn't include the host segments with people in the background (newsroom) milling about and the title graphics for each segment. I also missed the "In The News" segments from the 4th and 5th seasons and the update segments that were not included on the tapes, either. Little things like that made the show even more entertaining and should not be left out. So, the tapes were kind of disappointing (and too brief; only 57 minutes each).
What do the rest of you want: Full episodes (full seasons) or 'by subject'?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I guess I want the full episodes too, that'd be the perfect way, and Tim White was such an excellent and elegant host/narrator. But I'd buy the 'subject' releases too, if they cramped them full of good segments; ghosts, hauntings, UFOs, lake monsters/sea serpent releases would sure excite me.

trentreznorfanatic79

Auditioning
Real Name
Rina
hi all i'm a newbie here...i couldn't help but reply...Sightings was indeed a great show...watched it since the beginning...this show was basically the first show that actually taught me what the paranormal was...i did have my first ghost encounter when i was about 7-8 years old..i didn't know or understand what it was at that time cause i never knew..it was a full bodied apparition that went into a room and vanished.i thought it was a stranger who got into my dad's house so i did't tell anyone cause i thought they wouldn't believe me..anyways, by the time sightings did come around, i learned myself..they did have alot of good information..and yes when reality hit me about ghosts and how they were real it fully scared me...remember the episode with the guy who asked the ghost a question and took a pic to see the answer? and the pic of the ghost? yeah that was one of em... that's when other shows came about...remember that's incredible?? yeah the one where they talked about the ghost in toys r us? oh and i'm not leaving out a show called haunted hollywood..where people brought in their own evidence..it sucked cause they would do.."let's show that again".. oh by the way i saw an episode on sightings where they were talking about this place where it had like a wall type of display case(it was long) and they were talking about this one doll that was haunted and he changes poses..does anyone remember? does anyone have the story on it? i do have a sightings video on ghosts called something like "the ghost report" which is really good...just sucks cause i can't watch it(no vcr) i am going to search to see if it is out on dvd..

trentreznorfanatic79

Auditioning
Real Name
Rina
i forgot..another reason i love sightings sooo much was cause that they had that really cool guy, peter james as the psychic..and when he did the "live" investigations..oh man i had trouble sleeping..i loved em all..sallie was crazy! did i get that right? sallie wasnt the one who scratched him up but another entity? ok i know i mention the dvd releases to paramount b4 i am going to try again...it would be cool if they did volumes/seasons sets cause that is what it was about, different things..that would be cool..they should though however do one as well on just the ghosts...(i have on of the unsolved mysteries on just the ghosts which i do enjoy)..peter james did have a webite but is no longer working due to the fact that he's making a new site...i did email him couple of times which he was cool enough to reply...i am a big fan of his work..he did tours on the queen mary for awhile (that place is great to explore especially at night) i didn't get the opportunity to go on his tour, it's a dinner and tour deal (not cheap either) but he emailed me saying that he is doing the tours again in september (towards the end of sept.) so i will save up..he is making a dvd on the ghosts of the queen mary..i will buy..(25 bucks)

Pisto

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
I remember watching Sightings in the summer of '96, maybe once a week on my FOX affiliate at midnight. I'm a huge Unsolved Mysteries fan and I remember loving this show too. I'd invest in a DVD release.

zomgjon

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan Chu
I would love for SIGHTINGS to be released on DVD...I have fond memories of watching it as a kid and getting a little scared going to sleep after watching it, lol.

Mike T

Agent
Just thought I would type a few things and keep this going.

My favorite topics on the show were UFOs and creatures (such as Bigfoot, werewolves, lake monsters, etc.). The UFO / airplane pilot encounters and Bigfoot segments were especially intriguing and fun to watch. (I wish that they had produced more creature segments over the years than they did. I don't remember a Chupacabras or Jersey Devil story on the show; do you? That would have been great!) Also, it was always cool whenever they did the rare segment on time travel, Tesla, or HAARP.

I also liked the ghost segments, but I have to admit, I preferred the ghost investigators who used electronic equipment to try to detect ghosts over the use of psychics.

Favorite segments, anyone??

Mike T

Agent
Hope no one minds if I start up this old thread again. I'm still hoping that Paramount will wise up and release "Sightings" on DVD soon. I haven't heard anything about it, but it never hurts to hope. I've written letters and e-mails to a few other DVD companies in hopes that maybe they can buy the license to Sightings from Paramount and release it themselves. If Paramount isn't interested in producing the DVDs, then a smaller company might profit from it (and it wouldn't hurt Paramount if they sold the license or gave the rights to do it).
I e-mailed Anchor Bay Entertainment and VEI and suggested that they try to get the rights to "Sightings". I also sent a regular mail letter to First Look Studios, Inc. Those studios seem to cater to cult TV shows and movies, so they seem like a good fit for this show. Do a google search and you can find contact info for them. Of course, you can't expect a reply from any of these companies, but maybe someone will look into it. Paramount just seems to be dragging their feet on this. They released several Unsolved Mysteries paranormal sets, so they must know there is a market for it (I assume those sets sold pretty well or they would have stopped releasing them after the inital three sets). Even if Paramount (or any company) doesn't think that Sightings would sell well, they could always try a single disc release with a few episodes on it and "test the waters". If it didn't do well, it wouldn't have cost them much money to produce and if it did do well, they could begin releasing the season sets. I don't think it would hurt a huge company like Paramount (probably wouldn't hurt a smaller company much, either).
Other paramormal documentary shows that I would also like to see released include:
"In Search Of..." (the original series with Nimoy/1976 - 82)
"Encounters: The Hidden Truth" (1994 - 96)
"The Paranormal Borderline" (hosted by Jonathan Frakes /
1996)
"Unexplained Mysteries" (2003 - 04 / Yeah, I know this
show was mainly a re-edited version of Sightings with
a new narrator and visual style, but it was still
entertaining (although, they repeated footage way too
much on the "coming up next..." parts)
"Mysteries, Magic, & Miracles" (1994 - ? / The first season
was released a couple of years ago on a messed up
DVD set. It would be nice to see the second season
released on a better quality set.)
Most of the new paranormal documentary shows don't impress me too much. Most of the shows on the cable channels tend to debunk the paranormal. I prefer a show that leans more toward believing in it or at least giving a neutral viewpoint and letting the viewers decide for themselves.
So, let's keep talking about "Sightings" (as well as these other shows that I mentioned) and maybe someday someone will listen to us.
-Mike

Mike T

Agent
I am bringing this thread back up because I found out that Paramount Home Entertainment is watching this site now. I still hope that they decide to release "Sightings" on standard DVD in season sets and maybe if they see this thread, it will help.

I think that Paramount also owns the rights to some other paranormal shows such as "Encounters: The Hidden Truth" and "The Paranormal Borderline". I would also like to see those shows on DVD. I would buy all of them.

If anyone else wants these shows on DVD, please reply here. Maybe Paramount will listen.

-Mike

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike T
I am bringing this thread back up because I found out that Paramount Home Entertainment is watching this site now. I still hope that they decide to release "Sightings" on standard DVD in season sets and maybe if they see this thread, it will help.

I think that Paramount also owns the rights to some other paranormal shows such as "Encounters: The Hidden Truth" and "The Paranormal Borderline". I would also like to see those shows on DVD. I would buy all of them.

If anyone else wants these shows on DVD, please reply here. Maybe Paramount will listen.

-Mike
They could at least release the episodes that featured major personalities, like the Whitley Strieber episode.

Mike T

Agent
Even though I would prefer the whole seasons, at this point, I would take anything! I don't know why Paramount hasn't released "Sightings" and the other shows I mentioned on DVD. Maybe they're not interested or they think they won't sell. Maybe there are rights issues between the various companies that produced these shows. Who knows? But if "Unsolved Mysteries" and "Mysteries, Magic, & Miracles" can get released on DVD (and they have), then there must be a market for these types of shows.

Maybe these shows didn't have as high ratings as Unsolved Mysteries when they originally aired, but "Sightings" was loyally watched by millions of viewers for 5 seasons. That must count for something! In addition to the people who have answered this thread, there have been others on other sites that have also said that they would love to see "Sightings" on DVD. So, I know I'm not alone. I wish that Paramount would at least tell us if a "Sightings" DVD release is possible. If it's not, at least I would know not to hope for it anymore. I hope they do a Q & A session on this site soon, so I can ask the question.

Paramount

Insider
Real Name
Paramount
[COLOR= blue]Hi Guys – Since there were a lot of questions regarding “Sightings” coming to DVD, I wanted to let you know that we don’t have any plans of releasing “Sightings” on DVD in 2010. We are starting to put together the 2011 release schedule and will take the fan feedback into consideration. Thank you[/COLOR]

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks for letting us know, even if it is bad news for collectors. Nice to know that the title will be considered for 2011 though.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I would also like to see Sightings on DVD. Thanks for listening to the fans.

Mike T

Agent
To Paramount insider:

As the guy who started this thread, I would also like to thank you for your reply. At least now I know it won't be released this year. But I'm still hoping for a possible 2011 Sightings release. Thanks again for letting us know!

-Mike T.

Mike T

Agent
I PM'ed the Paramount insider about any news for this show. He (or she) said that there are still no plans to release Sightings on DVD as of this time. The insider said that new titles are being added all of the time and he (or she) would let me know if Sightings is added to their schedule in the future. So, it's disappointing news for us Sightings fans, but I'm still hopeful that it will be released someday. It couldn't hurt for everyone to write Paramount and request the show on DVD (even if you've already done it in the past).

So many of today's paranormal shows are so unprofessionally produced, it makes me miss Sightings all the more. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything else and if anyone else hears news, post it here. Thanks.

-Mike T.

Mark Lamb

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Lamb
This series really needs to be released on DVD in full episode formats...I would buy the entire series imediately. Sightings was a really interesting and well done series with high production values. I recently watched a few episodes on Youtube and they still stand up really well. The original In Search Of with leonard Nimoy be will be out in it's entirety by years end so hopefully Sightings won't be too far off. Another great paramount series that would be great on DVD was Unexpained Mysteries which seemed like a Sightings spin-off...two great great shows!!

Mike T

Agent
I also read that "In Search Of" is going to be released on DVD later this year (if they get the rights to a couple of videos shown in an episode or two of the series). I'm also hoping that this will eventually lead to "Sightings" being released on DVD. I doubt that Paramount will be the company that will release it, though. They seem to have no interest in "Sightings" any more. I e-mailed the company that is supposed to release "In Search Of" ("VEI") and asked them to release "Sightings", too. Of course, I didn't get a reply. But I'm still trying to keep hope. I would like the full episode DVD treatment, too. Now might be a good time for all "Sightings" fans to e-mail VEI about releasing it on DVD. If they can get the rights from Paramount, they might do it.
"Unexplained Mysteries" was produced by some of the same companies that produced "Sightings". They re-used a lot of footage from "Sightings" and mixed in some new interviews and new graphics for that series. "UM" only ran for one season and aired reruns in its second year in syndication. It was all right, but not as good as "Sightings". UM used too many repeated scenes in each episode.
-Mike

Mike T

Agent
I'm checking in again to voice my disappointment in the Fox 25th Anniversary Special that recently aired. Out of the 2 hours of that special, "Sightings" wasn't mentioned at all. When I first heard about the special, Fox was still putting it together and it was several weeks before it was going to air. I e-mailed Fox and requested that they show Sightings (and maybe "Encounters: The Hidden Truth", too) in their special. Of course, they probably didn't even read my e-mail and had already decided what was going into the special.
What made me P.O.'ed is that they showed a brief logo screen of the show "Werewolf" (a show I used to watch), and spotlighted shows like "The Tick" and the "Alien Autopsy" special. But not even one brief mention of Sightings. Werewolf only aired for about one year and The Tick only aired for about 6 or so episodes before being canceled due to low ratings. Sightings ran for 2 seasons on Fox and for 3 more seasons after that on other channels. The first Sightings specials ("The UFO Report" and "The Ghost Report") received high ratings for Fox and that led to the weekly series. Even the weekly series received decent enough ratings in the first season to lead Fox to renew it for a second season. Yet the producers of the anniversary special ignored all of this. I know that the "Alien Autopsy" special received high ratings, too, but since it was eventually admitted as a hoax by its perpetrators, you would think that Fox would have been embarassed by that fact and not mentioned it, but they did anyway. And, yes, they did spotlight "The X-Files", too, and rightly so since it was a long-running, hit show (and one of my favorites). But no Sightings.
I think that the producers of the special made a mistake in not including it in the 2-hour retrospective. It was one of the first shows featuring paranormal topics that Fox aired and it at least seems that the idea led to The X-Files later (even if that hasn't been mentioned in any interviews with Chris Carter). They could have interviewed Henry Winkler (co-executive producer of Sightings) about the show for a couple of minutes. I'm sure he would have been glad to do it, had he been asked. Even a brief flash of the Sightings logo would have been better than nothing. Sightings most certainly won't be shown in Fox's next anniversary special in 25 years, so that chance for recognition is gone. I e-mailed Fox through their website and let them know of my disappointment. I'm sure that they couldn't care less, but I did it anyway.
I guess I take these things too seriously sometimes, but when a show that you really liked years ago gets treated this shabbily (both from Paramount and Fox), it really stinks. Let me know what you guys think about Fox not including Sightings in their anniversary special. As a Sightings fan, did it bother you or did you not really expect them to include it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks