will seven samurai be re-released.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MattAnder, Jun 23, 2004.

1. MattAnder

MattAnder Extra

Hey, I did a search, but didn't find anything. If I just missed something and this has been discussed before then I'm sorry. Anyway, I've heard rumors that Criterion is going to re-release Seven Samurai with a better transfer and better subtitles. I went to Criterion's website and asked that Mulvaney guy, but I didn't get a response. Does anybody know if it will be re-released and if so when? I really wanna pick this up, but I'd hate to buy it when a new version is on the horizon. Thanks for any info.

2. MattAnder

MattAnder Extra

Hey, I did a search, but didn't find anything. If I just missed something and this has been discussed before then I'm sorry. Anyway, I've heard rumors that Criterion is going to re-release Seven Samurai with a better transfer and better subtitles. I went to Criterion's website and asked that Mulvaney guy, but I didn't get a response. Does anybody know if it will be re-released and if so when? I really wanna pick this up, but I'd hate to buy it when a new version is on the horizon. Thanks for any info.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've held off on the box-set because I also heard Criterion planned to do a remaster but I'm not 100%...

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've held off on the box-set because I also heard Criterion planned to do a remaster but I'm not 100%...

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    If you're holding off on the box set of Criterion releases of Kurosawa films.... Deep Discount DVD is doing a massive 20% off sale that goes on for another day or two (one of the many coupon codes is DVDTALK, another is USATODAY), and through that sale, I was able to get the box set for a little more than $50 - for that price, considering you're getting four amazing movies, it's worth it, even if they do end up redoing Seven Samurai down the road.

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    If you're holding off on the box set of Criterion releases of Kurosawa films.... Deep Discount DVD is doing a massive 20% off sale that goes on for another day or two (one of the many coupon codes is DVDTALK, another is USATODAY), and through that sale, I was able to get the box set for a little more than $50 - for that price, considering you're getting four amazing movies, it's worth it, even if they do end up redoing Seven Samurai down the road.

7. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

DVD Times recently posted a "rumour" that The Seven Samurai would be re-released "in the coming months."

However, Jon Mulvaney said by email in August 2003 not to expect the re-release before 2005, and in June 2004 he wrote "We look forward to releasing more Kurosawa in 2005, but THE LOWER DEPTHS is likely to be our last Kurosawa for 2004."

Finally, at the HTF Chat in February 2004 Criterion's Lee Kline said the following:

So all the evidence points to a re-release probably not before 2005 (though there are no guarantees). Finally, I agree with the recommendation to buy the Akira Kurosawa: Four Samurai Classics gift set during the DDD sale if you don't have it already.

8. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

DVD Times recently posted a "rumour" that The Seven Samurai would be re-released "in the coming months."

However, Jon Mulvaney said by email in August 2003 not to expect the re-release before 2005, and in June 2004 he wrote "We look forward to releasing more Kurosawa in 2005, but THE LOWER DEPTHS is likely to be our last Kurosawa for 2004."

Finally, at the HTF Chat in February 2004 Criterion's Lee Kline said the following:

So all the evidence points to a re-release probably not before 2005 (though there are no guarantees). Finally, I agree with the recommendation to buy the Akira Kurosawa: Four Samurai Classics gift set during the DDD sale if you don't have it already.

9. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Here's another vote for getting the Four Samurai Classics set. For that price, you can't complain at all, even if they re-release all of the disks in the set!

Don't deprive yourself of a set of 4 FANTASTIC films.

10. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Here's another vote for getting the Four Samurai Classics set. For that price, you can't complain at all, even if they re-release all of the disks in the set!

Don't deprive yourself of a set of 4 FANTASTIC films.

11. James_Shu

James_Shu Auditioning

Yeah, don't hold off on picking up the Four Samurai Classics box set. I remember getting a great deal on it from DVDPlanet. Oh, and Criterion needs more Michael Jeck commentary tracks on Kurosawa DVDs! His commentary on the Seven Samurai and Throne of Blood discs were fantastic. I mean, I enjoy Stephen Prince's insights but Jeck is just so much more upbeat and less scripted.

Also, it's too bad about The Lower Depths being the last 2004 Kurosawa DVD from Criterion, but I feel spoiled enough as it is thanks to Ikiru and Stary Dog being released this year. [​IMG]

12. James_Shu

James_Shu Auditioning

Yeah, don't hold off on picking up the Four Samurai Classics box set. I remember getting a great deal on it from DVDPlanet. Oh, and Criterion needs more Michael Jeck commentary tracks on Kurosawa DVDs! His commentary on the Seven Samurai and Throne of Blood discs were fantastic. I mean, I enjoy Stephen Prince's insights but Jeck is just so much more upbeat and less scripted.

Also, it's too bad about The Lower Depths being the last 2004 Kurosawa DVD from Criterion, but I feel spoiled enough as it is thanks to Ikiru and Stary Dog being released this year. [​IMG]

13. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I debated this myself and here's how I justified the box set.

I want all four movies and will get them with or without the box set. DVDPlanet sells the box for about $65. If they re-release Seven Samurai and I want to upgrade, that's $65 + ~$25 (just a guess on what the new release would cost). So that's $90. If I buy them individually, that's about $20 each for Yojimbo, Sanjuro and the Hidden Fortress and wait to pay $25 for the new version of Seven Samurai when and if it's released. That comes to $85.

So the box set route will cost about $5 more, but you can enjoy the movie now and upgrade when the time comes. At that time you should be able to get at least $5 for the current Seven Samurai. Seems like a good deal to me. And if you take advantage of the DeepDiscountDVD sale for 20% off, the box set will run you about $57.57, so you'd actually come out ahead getting the set now versus buying them individually. [​IMG]

Of course I'm just guessing on how much the new Seven Samurai might cost, but that seems to be inline with new Criterion prices at DVDPlanet. You'd have to do the math for your favorite retailer, but I'd guess the results would be similar.

When all else fails, do the math. [​IMG]

14. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I debated this myself and here's how I justified the box set.

I want all four movies and will get them with or without the box set. DVDPlanet sells the box for about $65. If they re-release Seven Samurai and I want to upgrade, that's $65 + ~$25 (just a guess on what the new release would cost). So that's $90. If I buy them individually, that's about $20 each for Yojimbo, Sanjuro and the Hidden Fortress and wait to pay $25 for the new version of Seven Samurai when and if it's released. That comes to $85.

So the box set route will cost about $5 more, but you can enjoy the movie now and upgrade when the time comes. At that time you should be able to get at least $5 for the current Seven Samurai. Seems like a good deal to me. And if you take advantage of the DeepDiscountDVD sale for 20% off, the box set will run you about $57.57, so you'd actually come out ahead getting the set now versus buying them individually. [​IMG]

Of course I'm just guessing on how much the new Seven Samurai might cost, but that seems to be inline with new Criterion prices at DVDPlanet. You'd have to do the math for your favorite retailer, but I'd guess the results would be similar.

When all else fails, do the math. [​IMG]

15. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

The prices that Criterion commands there should be no reason that they even offer the costumer the chance to double dip. AT those prices, it's something you should get right the first time.

16. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

The prices that Criterion commands there should be no reason that they even offer the costumer the chance to double dip. AT those prices, it's something you should get right the first time.

17. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Odd since new prints (presumably from the original neg or duplicate neg) of Seven Samurai made the rounds last year and from all indications it looked remarkable...why doesn't Criterion try to get a good transfer from these new prints? Toho is bad about licensing I know.

18. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Odd since new prints (presumably from the original neg or duplicate neg) of Seven Samurai made the rounds last year and from all indications it looked remarkable...why doesn't Criterion try to get a good transfer from these new prints? Toho is bad about licensing I know.

19. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I saw this print in Dallas and I’d say the ‘pretty good’ is a more accurate assessment than ‘remarkable’. The English translation is very much a translation based on current American spoken English, rather than what we might call ‘standard’ usage.

Personally I’m ambivalent on this.

20. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I saw this print in Dallas and I’d say the ‘pretty good’ is a more accurate assessment than ‘remarkable’. The English translation is very much a translation based on current American spoken English, rather than what we might call ‘standard’ usage.

Personally I’m ambivalent on this.