Will Scarface 1932 be released?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JackKay, Jan 20, 2005.

1. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

I'm very excited about Warner Brothers release of their Gangster Collecton this Tuesday. Another gangster movie I would love to have is the 1932 original Scarface with Paul Muni. But it seems Universal is not selling it unless you buy it with Al Pacino's Scarface.
    Any word on it being sold alone?

thanx, Jack.

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I wouldn't count on it, this is Universal after all.

I rented it through GreenCine a couple of months ago and watched it that way. It's on Ebay quite regularly for under $30 which is fairly reasonable.

The idea of packaging this movie with the 1980's remake that has no similarites outside of the name was one of the most bass-ackward decisions that Universal has ever made and they have made some pretty horrible decisions over the last few years.

Personally, I have zero interest in seeing the Pacino version and won't give in to buying a deluxe boxset to get another movie that I want.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Just wanted to let people know that the Scarface deluxe set is $23.99 at Amazon.com right now. A great price and you can always re-sell the new Scarface on E-Bay if you want.

4. Eric Peterson

Thanks for the heads-up Jay. That's a good price. I could easily turn around and sell the other shite for $10-$15 and get what I want. The only negative is that it looks to Universal like their strategy worked![​IMG]

5. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Stunt Coordinator

Just so you know, if you keep an eye on deals at FYE, it seems like at least twice a year when you can buy the deluxe boxset of 'Scarface' for $20 (sometimes $25, I got mine for $20). You can then turn around and sell whatever you're not interested in on E-bay, and may even wind up making a profit, but, either way, you're better off that way than paying E-bay prices to buy just the old one. [I like E-bay, but stuff like that tends to get more expensive than it ought to.]

I actually expected that a lot of the 1932 versions would turn up on E-bay, since I figured there'd be a lot of people buying that deluxe box who wouldn't care about it at all. Guess I was wrong.

EDIT: Whoops, yeah, that Amazon price looks pretty decent too.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I got the box set at Fry's a few months ago for $19.99. They put it on sale every once in a while. Funny thing is it was sold out all over the place when it first came out, now it looks like there's a surplus of them. I'm a sucker for any kind of cool packaging [​IMG]

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I saw it at Fry's for $19.99, but didn't buy it that day. By the time I went back, it was up again. Like Jack, I also only want the original, but I'll play Uni's little game the next time Fry's lowers the price.

8. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I recorded it from TCM.

9. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I bought the box when it first came around. I enjoy both versions - go figure.

10. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

It's on TCM tonight at 8, Eastern. In case anybody wants to get it...

11. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Thanks for the tip about the great price at Amazon. I ordered it last night and it shipped already. This is a better price than anything I have seen on e-bay.

-D

12. Eric Peterson

Thanks Dee! I've got my Tivo Qued up, and then I'll have it on DVD until Universal gets their shit together.[​IMG]

13. BrianRi

BrianRi Stunt Coordinator

So how is the video quality? Nobody seems to have commented on that yet.