Will Rogers Collection Vol.1 in July

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Hodson, Apr 13, 2006.

1. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    DVD Times has news of Will Rogers Collection Vol.1 in July, good news for fans of Mr Rogers (and Mr Ford):

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of the Will Rogers Collection Volume 1 for 25th July 2006 priced at $59.98 SRP. This collection includes the last four films of Will Rogers career, released both before and after his death in 1935.

Life Begins At Forty
    Full Frame Feature
    Commentary by Anthony Slide
    Restoration Comparison (3:00)
    Trailer

Steamboat Round The Bend
    Full Frame Feature
    Commentary by Scott Eyman
    Trailer

Doubting Thomas
    Full Frame Feature
    A&E Biography- Will Rogers: An American Original (90:00)
    Movietone News
    Will Rogers Memorial Fund
    Stage Dedicated To Will Rogers In Hollywood
    Trailer

In Old Kentucky
    Full Frame Feature
    Movietone News
    Film Executives Visit Memorial to Will Rogers
    Will Rogers off with Wiley Post to Arctic Circle
    Trailer

2. Derek Estes

Derek Estes Stunt Coordinator

John, I knew you would have this posted by the time I got here! LOL! I'm looking forward to this release. I've only seen Steamboat, and it will be great to see it restored. I haven't seen the others. Great extras.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, Fox has definitely limited their boxset releases to just four films with a MSRP of $59.98

Crawdaddy

4. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Volume "I" sounds very promising. Fox brought out DOUBTING THOMAS on VHS along with CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT (featuring Myrna Loy and Maureen O'Sullivan--a surprisingly racy film), AMBASSADOR BILL and MR. SKITCH many years ago and despite the obvious historical and political context, they are terrific films. Rogers' humor doesn't seem dated at all. John Ford directed STEAMBOAT.

5. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I saw this. Who is doing programming at Fox? STILL no box sets devoted to two of thier biggest stars, Susan Hayward and Tyrone Power. But they do will Rogers?

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Well, he was a pretty big star in his own right - we are talking Will Rogers; this is hardly 'Francis the Talking Mule' territory.

I balk at the price (I balk at a lot of prices these days), but I'll end up owning this set, and kudos to whomever at Fox had the cojones to set up a release. BTW, I think the fact that Vol. 1 contains his last four films means that if sales are poor, there may be no Vol. 2.

I may have to buy Vol.1 at least twice...

7. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

8. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Well, I ordered 2 copies of the Charlie Chan box to help ensure that further volumes of Chan/Moto are forthcoming, but I can't afford to do that with all the Fox boxes if they continue to price them on the high end.

Crawdaddy mentioned in the Grable thread that if sales don't meet projections Fox will need to adjust their pricing. My fear is that they will interpret low sales as lack of interest and scale back their catalog titles altogether.

If Fox priced these 4 disc boxes the way they did their fantastic Laurel & Hardy box that just came out (3 DVDs for $35MSRP; discounted to $25 or less online) I would feel a whole lot better about them.

Still, I never would have guessed the Rogers films, which I am not familiar with, would ever be released so I do give them credit for that.

Steve

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I would only be interested in Steamboat as it is a John Ford picture

10. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

It's a good batch. I have all four on tape, but I'll be glad to upgrade. Although come to think of it, that price is pretty rough. I 'trust' I'll have the dough for it. Lots of things coming out in June and July. Probably smart that this initial set is comprised of the later Rogers films, as they do play well. Some of the earlier ones are a little uneven (including "A Connecticut Yankee," which I actually found rather disappointing). Rogers sure must have made a lot of films that final year of his life. Isn't "The County Chairman" also from 1935? That's one I've never seen. Wish it was part of this set.

11. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John