Will R1 be getting the tv show CSI??....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jun 27, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I know it is out in R2. But, I do not have a region free player. I was wondering if their has been any new info.

2. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

No and due to syndication issues, I doubt it'll be out for at least 3 or 4 more years.

3. David Brent

David Brent Stunt Coordinator

Over here the show is broadcast in widescreen, and it looks glorious.

Unfortunately, the UK releases from Momentum aren't going to be in anamorphic widescreen, despite the fact that the series was filmed in a High Definition format from the start.

So American fans will not be alone in their wait, as many UK viewers who have been spoiled by the widescreen broadcasts are also holding out in the hope that the eventual US DVDs are handled properly.

David

4. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Now this one's a dilemma... The show was shot in HD format, but I've only seen the regular 4x3 broadcasts. Would I be violating the commitment to OAR if I purchase the 4x3 release?

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Not really... the OAR for modern television is fairly ambiguous.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

4:3 and 16:9 are both valid ratios for most US TV shows

The exceptions for widescreen only

Buffy- Once More w/Feeling only
    Angel-Seasons 3 and up
    West Wing-Season 2(?) and up
    ER- Season 7(?) and up
    Enterprise
    X-Files- The B&W "Frankenstein" ep was broadcast widescreen only, at least originally
    Stargate SG-1- Season 6 and up
    Farscape- Season 4 and up

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

8. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I was a bit puzzled by Jeff's list. We've had 16:9 broadcasts here in the UK for a few years now, to the point where almost every new home-grown programme is shown in the format. (Some satellite broadcasters are resisting the change, but all the terrestrial broadcasters are mainly 16:9). Naturally, a lot of American shows are also shown here in 16:9, so we've probably been exposed to 16:9 versions of American shows that haven't aired in that format in the US.
    From Jeff's list:
    Buffy- Once More w/Feeling only
    The BBC started widescreen transmissions with season 4 - and the recent UK Season 4 DVD set is in widescreen, (as is Season 3 of Angel. Earlier seasons may have been shot 16:9 safe, but no masters exist in this format, apparently. A friend who's a bit more obsessed with the series than I am has pointed out that some of the flashback clips (from these first three seasons) that have appeared in the later seasons are in 16:9 widescreen format.
    X-Files- The B&W "Frankenstein" ep was broadcast widescreen only, at least originally
    Wasn't it Triangle (the episode set aboard the Queen Mary) that was the first widescreen episode? My memory...
    Stargate SG-1- Season 6 and up
    The UK DVDs of Stargate SG-1 have been 16:9 from the beginning. We had one disc of the "Best of..." season 1, and then everything from the third season onwards, all in 16:9. (We're about half way through the sixth season at the moment).
    The first season of CSI was shown here 4:3, but the second has been 16:9. It's often sadly the case that DVD producers will take the path of least resistance when putting a show on DVD. If there's a choice between paying for new 16:9 PAL masters to be made, or using existing 4:3 masters, then they may choose to cut costs by going with the 4:3. I suspect that's what's happened in this case. I'll be waiting to see if the eventual R1 release is 16:9 or not. I'm in no hurry!

9. Jeff Kleist

I'm stating that for US broadcast, those shows have been shown 16:9 ONLY as opposed to 4:3 on standard and 16:9 on digital

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

11. David Lawrence

David Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

Re: West Wing - are you sure it's 16:9 from season 2 onwards? I thought it made the switch starting from the terrorist special that aired before S3?

Regarding CSI, the improvement in picture quality from S1 in 4:3 to S2 in 16:9 was simply astounding in my opinion. If the boxset of S1 matches what aired here, it's yet another reason to wait for R1.

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Thanks for the info everyone. I purchased a dvd burner a couple of months ago. And have been recording my own dvd's of the show. But, I only have 18 of the 46 episodes(both seasons total). I heard that TNN will be getting the show in syndication. Which is scary because the will put the dreaded permanent black advertising bar at the bottom. [​IMG]

13. Jeff Kleist

That's why I put (?) because I wasn't sure on when these shows started widescreen

14. Andrew Hintz

Andrew Hintz Extra

Pretty much any ABC, CBS, or Fox series is done in both 16x9 and 4x3. As far as 16x9, while I know it has got to look great in the UK, both broadcast and on the DVDs in 16x9, nothing can compare to the absolutely glorious 16x9 HD presentation CSI usually is over here. That said, I'd still love to have the DVDs over here. Hopefully 24 is the start of a new trend.

--Andrew