What's new

Will PVR's like Tivo and Replay become outdated? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I was just wondering if Tivo, Replay, etc. are eventually going to become obsolete?

It just seems with hard drives becoming available in DVD recorders which will probably eventually be just as advanced as Tivo, not many people would want to buy a Tivo...

While Tivo is popular, nowhere near the amount of people own one as say a DVD player... No one I know even has an interest in paying for a PVR...

Another thing is the price... Paying for a lifetime subscription fee... Well, what if it becomes obsolete in the next few years? Then, the lifetime subscription is down the drain...

Thats just the scary thing... I dont want to buy something to have it become obsolete after awhile when DVD recorders and such become more advanced and popular...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another thing is the price
That's why I like the DirecTivo. $5/month for all the DirecTivos in the house vs. $12.95/month for each stand alone Tivo. DirecTivos are also going for $99 each now for existing subscribers or $49 each for new subscrivers to DirecTV.

-Robert

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Directivo sounds like a ton of fun... The ability to watch a channel while recording another is also great... I would definately get one if we had Directv... We used to have Directv, but after moving we now have cable again because we needed high speed internet...

We also got a great deal... Digital Cable with the digital box and High Speed Internet for $53 for the first year... Kind of hard to pass up when in includes both things... Just High Speed Internet is normally $42.95 in this area...

But, I do eventually want a PVR... I would love to have one now, but I think I will wait a little longer just incase...

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I dont want to buy something to have it become obsolete after awhile when DVD recorders and such become more advanced and popular...
As long as the service continues, your Tivo box will be just as useful now as it will be 2 years from now. If you want to upgrade, you can always move it another room, sell it, give it a family member, etc. Don't let fear of obsolesence prevent you from buying the most useful piece of A/V gear you will ever own.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
... Paying for a lifetime subscription fee... Well, what if it becomes obsolete in the next few years? Then, the lifetime subscription is down the drain...
I would gladly play $300 to use a Tivo for 4-5 years rather than not have Tivo at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks