Will PS2 play games in 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob N, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Will the PS2 play games in 5.1 audio? If so, what games and what additional cables do I need to connect the PS2 to my home theater (I have a 5.1 receiver)? Is it simply just hooking up an optical cable from the PS2 to an open optical port on the back of my receiver?

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

The short answer is yes, you'll just need the optical cable. You may have to configure your PS2 for optical output (in the same menu as aspect ratio and DTS enabling).

As to games in 5.1, there are certain sections of MGS2 that have 5.1, but those were pseudo cinema scenes, and I haven't seen it used while you are in control.

There may have already been a thread about this, so I would try the search function.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Some new games will have in-game DTS 5.1 sound. I believe that NHL 2002 is the first game to do this. For some reason, PS2 games cannot have in-game DD 5.1. I believe that Bouncer was the first game to incorporate 5.1 DD for cutscenes. You will need an optical cable and a DTS capable receiver to get DTS out of the PS2.
    -Chris

4. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    SSX Tricky is the ONLY game (that I know of) that has 5.1 audio while you're in control, and it's DTS only, not DD.

The Bouncer is supposed to have DD 5.1, as is MGS2 (which I have, but haven't opened yet) but only in cutscenes.

Mike

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The PS2 is not supposed to support 5.1 sound during gameplay, only during cutscenes. But EA has figured out how to get DTS sound during gameplay. THe first game that incorporated it was NHL2002 and now SSX Tricky does as well.

I haven't heard either game, but from what comments I've read, the DTS sound in NHL2002 wasn't all that great.

6. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Hey thanks for the info. I've got the PS2 system (still in box as it is a xmas gift for kids) and I'm just wondering what else I'll need besides what comes standard in the box. DTS is fine (my receiver is DTS as well). However, if I connect via an optical cable and the game being played (Madden 2002 for example)is "Dobly Surround" will I get surround sound even if it isn't 5.1/DTS?

7. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Yeah, you'll be fine with an optical cable. I've had mine hooked up this way since day one and it works great. Enjoy!

8. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Here's the deal...

There are several PS2 games that use Dolby Digital 5.1 sound during non-intactive FMVs (the first game of which was The Bouncer, followed by games like FFX, Batman, MGS2 and others)...

During gameplay the sound is 2.0...

This is because the PS2 does not have dedicated sound hardware to encode Dolby Digital 5.1 sound in real-time (ala XBOX)

Recently however, Electronic Arts has developed their own propritary sound API to encode DTS in real time.

AFAIK, EA is using the VU0 vector processor in the Emotion Engine CPU to encode the DTS codec in real-time (not surprising as it takes less processing cycles to encode DTS than Dolby Digital)so you can have discrete 5.1 audio (music and sound FX)at ALL TIMES..

There are only two Electronic Arts games on the market using this DTS API (NHL 2002 and SSX Tricky) although no other games have been announced yet....

In EA's press release, they mentioned the desire to licence the DTS API, but who knows how much support it will recieve...