Will projector sales overtake RPTV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Graz, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

This is a general question for discussion. I've noticed the interest and number of postings begin to increase on front projectors. Apparently the price of projectors is beginning to come into the $2,000 or sub $2,000 price range. Over the next year or 2 will front projectors become more popular than RPTV's? Certainly the small size and portability of front projectors should be a plus, particularly at the point where the become price competative with RPTV's. I had been assuming that I would buy something like a 65in RPTV in the next year or so, but the discussions on front projectors is beginning to intrigue me. So, when will projector sales begin to overtake RPTV sales or are the projector and RPTV markets 2 distinctly different markets? Thanks for any insight anyone can give. Bob

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I doubt whether PJ's will overtake RPTV any time soon but certainly in this forum and among the serious HT crowd, PJ's are making their mark. I got into FPTV about 3 years back. I had a misconception that it was out of my price range and that it was complicated beyond my comfort zone but after diving into it, I found it was a one way street I did not want to back out of. There is nothing like experiencing movies on a nice FPTV setup, no RPTV or Flatscreen can duplicate that. I also just upgraded my old LCD with a new unit which I will talk about later, that way I can take advantage of HDef as well.

Bob, I can pretty much guarantee that if you spend much time in this area of the forum and you truly expose yourself to FPTV, there will be no turning back and a solution will present itself to you.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I doubt it with the average consumer. I'm sure they don't even realize there are projectors available for TV/Movie viewing. It's also impractical for the average consumer considering the need for light control, a huge screen that needs a place to go, etc...

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I dunno about overtake, but in my HT, I definitely am planning on moving away from the RPTV in the future. I'm leaning toward a front projection (as opposed to a Plasma or something) since the cost is competitive and I like the idea of having a 90"+ screen. I love my Mits 55" RPTV but it takes up too much floorspace and I think a FPTV would give me much more flexibility in decor. I figure to be in the market again in 2 years and then will look at what is the best I can do for around 5k. I think I'll have a lot to choose from in that range, and should be able to find a great projector & screen combo for that price.

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I seriously doubt it, since it's difficult to get a good FP picture if you have a multi-purpose room with poor light control. I think few people have good enough light control in their room to really benefit from a FP. However, as Neil said, once you go FP, it's extremely difficult to go back. I'm on my 4th FP in less than 2 years.

6. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I think Plasma (when the prices come down) will take over. I'll still be using FP though, there's nothing like it! [​IMG]

7. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

I am an FP convert. While they certainly won't make the RPTV extinct, I do think there is a very large and untapped market for sub 10lb, >100" televisions (can you say WAF?)

8. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I have been thinking of converting and spare bedroom 12x10x8 into a small dedicated home theater and getting a front projector.

I've been looking at Toshiba MT7 and would consider others new or used. I already have a progressive dvd and a hdstb so I need a projector which can display both 4x3 and 16x9 and can also display hdtv. I've noticed that some projectors accepts 1080i but the resolution is only 848x480.

I would like to hear from my fellow members who have similar setups.

9. Bryan Six

Bryan Six Auditioning

Sanyo PLV-70 has WXGA mode and great brightness. Best in class right now.

10. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

11. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

I'm a FPJ convert also. I just got a NEC 6PG plus. It will ship monday.

I just went through two televisions in the past 5 months (whew!) one that was a RPTV that we tried to fix. I got to return it.

12. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    For a lot of us, price is not the factor that keeps us out of the FP market. In my case, I don't have a suitable room for an HT, so I'm using my large very open living room. There's really no good way to permanantly mount an FP (it's got those high vaulted ceilings), and of course there's no light control at all.

Now, when I buy my next house (2-3 year time frame), I'll be making sure I have a FP-suitable dedicated room. Then I'll be joining the club. Until then I'm happy with my 57" Sony RPTV.