What's new

Will progressive scan make a noticable difference on a 27" set? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm wondering if you can really tell the difference between a progressive scan and regular dvd player on a 27" set? I'm considering the purchase of a Zenith 27" HD ready set, it has 2 sets of component inputs. One is 1080i and one is for a standard type dvd player, why they did it like that I don't know. I don't currently have an HDTV source, so I could use the 1080i input for a progressive scan player. But, then I'd be stuck if/when I get HDTV on cable.

Thanks,
BrianGC

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As a rule, Brian, yes, prog scan will look much better on a 27-inch set. But if this Zenith is similar to its 34-inch widescreen set, you are limited to a regular interlaced component-video input and the other, which only accepts 1080i signals. No 480p possible. And that would remove the set from my short list.

Again, though, progressive scan looks beautiful on a 27-inch set. (Some will say it would be too small to notice, but that's not so.)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I agree with jack... with an exception. if your TV has a good line doubler and does the squeeze.. well the difference isn't all that noticable, yet is still there. on my 36" I use a PS2 as my DVD player, and with the line doubler and the Squeeze it looks awesome. then I hooked up my friends RP-91...... put it in progressive scan and turned on the squeeze and well it looked alot better but if i were to look at two identical tv's side by side one interlaced and one progressive.... without actively comparing the two and trying to SEE the differenc ei dont believe one would immeadiately jump out at me like you would see with DVD and VHS.

its all a matter of degrees, but for the extra 100 or so for progressive scan its definitely worth it.

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jack,
I downloaded the manual for the Zenith and it shows the following for the 2 component inputs:

1.) DVD IN - Standard component video equipment or DVD player.
DVD Player - 480i
SDTV Set top Box - 480i

2.) HD IN - Connect Progressive Scan or High-Definition component equipment to HD IN.

Progressive Scan DVD - 480p
EDTV Set top Box - 480p
HDTV Set top Box - 1080i

I should be able to connect a prog. scan dvd to the HD in. If I ever get a source for HDTV in the boon docks where I live, I'd either have to get some sort of switcher or move the dvd to the DVD IN set of inputs.

I may give the Zenith a try, I've seen a few posts about some dead RF inputs on the Samsung's I was also looking at. The local Best Buy even had to send the display for the 2796HF out to service because they couldn't get the thing to come on.

Thanks,
BrianGC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks