1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Will progressive scan fix this?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Stephen_Ri, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

Hi, right now I'm using my old interlaced player with component on my new Samsung HD monitor. The set upgrades a 480i signal to 480p, and it looks pretty good. One thing that bugs me, however, is that in some scenes, when interlace lines used to be obvious, now there is flickering. You know, like when the camera zooms in or out of say, a crowd in a stadium. My question is, would a progressive scan player remove this flickering? If so, what's a good, but inexpensive player? Thanks.

Stephen

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

3. Stephen_Ri

Thanks for the response Brian. It does it mostly on analog satellite, but also on dvd occasionally. Sometimes when there are fine lines on the screen they will jump up and down, on both anamorphic and non-anamorphic. My TV does do 3:2 pulldown, I believe automatically, as there is no on/off option. My TV's deinterlacer is Samsung Pro Chip Plus, and I have heard good and bad reviews on this; does anyone have an opinion regarding its quality? Is there a big differece between inexpensive and expensive pro-scan players? The set is small(27"), so it won't show quite as much detail as bigger sets anyway. Or is this normal, to have a little shimmering and jumping every now and then? Thanks again.

Stephen

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

5. Stephen_Ri

Thanks again. I'll consider what you've said also read up on the DVD Shootout pages(I'd never been there before you mentioned the site).

Stephen

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

8. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I just recently bought a prog scan dvd player. My new front projector doesn't have anything in the manual about the 2:3 pulldown or 3:2 pulldown, and there appears to be nothing in the onscreen menu to change to progressive or interlaced.

However, the screen does say, "525p" now instead of "525i".

I'm a little confused by this. So the player is doing the work here??? Bottom line though is I see a definite improvement in the image. More stable, cleaner, virtually no flicker at all, and I know this is not a prog scan claim-but the colors seem to be tighter and better.

Thanks! [​IMG]

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

525i (or 525p) is the same thing as 480i (or 480p). The projector is just using the terminology that includes in the scan line count the 45 non-visible scan lines of analog video that hold vertical sync., closed captions, and other non-picture material. Those scan lines are not included for each frame on a DVD or in digital TV broadcast but are added by the player or HDTV tuner box for their composite, S-video, and component video outputs.

If the projector momentarily shows "525p" where it used to momentarily show "525i" and you didn't change any connecctions, that just means it auto-sensed that the incoming video was progressive. The "525p" does not reveal whether or not the projector is also upscaling to 540p, you still have to research and ask about this.

Not sure whether 540p's alter ego is 562p or 563p. For 1080i it is 1125i. (99.9% of 540p and 1080i equipment will work together with no problem)

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

11. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Ok, here's the gear:

Panasonic PT-L200U front projector
    RCA DVD player Model DRC212N

I'll post this info on the dedicated L200U thread too. Thx!