What's new

Will price of PCs go up or down after Christmas? (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I have my eye on a Sony Vaio PCV-RZ44G, which is a nice multi-media/home entertainment PC, but I don't know when to get it.

All stores in existence are selling it at the exact same price, so it seems that if any lower price is to be found, it will be found in a time, not a place.

Do computer prices reliably fall or rise after Christmas?

KyleS

Screenwriter
Dito to what Aaron said. There is no guarantee when the prices will drop just that they will. Most of the time the drop is due to advancements in technology for computers (faster processors, larger hd's, DVD burners, etc).

Its really a guess about when the price will drop.

KyleS

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
You'll always pay less if you wait....problem with that is if you wait you'll never buy. With computers, your best bet is to find the best price now and don't check prices after you buy.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Kyle is right..computer prices are dictated more by new technology than holiday pricing. Retailers have gotten very good at inventory control and are doing less and less of the big one day blowouts, opting more for week long or timely sales throughout the year.

The time to jump in is when you have the cash available, the product is available and it has all the features you want now. Don't buy with the idea that you will continue to upgrade, that gets expensive quick. These days you're better off to get it all and then sell it off and buy again (it's cheaper in the long run). Get the most you can afford today and don't worry about buyers remorse. With electronics you'll always have some remorse because every 3 - 6 months technology takes a leap and 2x the power is available for the price you paid today. Don't wait too long, though sometimes a week or a month can save you a wad of dough, you have to watch the market closely and listen to what's coming next to time things properly.

Dang, it's like watching stock ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The best time to buy a computer is tomorrow.

Of course, when the price falls, something new and better will step into the current price point to tempt you.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Good advice all. Thanks. I am going to look to see if my state is having any tax-free days this season...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks