What's new

Will Predator: CE have a new transfer? (1 Viewer)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Same transfer, but less compression. Better or Not?

From The Bits
Fox Entertainment has finally gotten around to presenting Predator in an edition befitting its cult status, rather than the pallid movie-only disc they've hawked for years. Separated into two discs, the movie takes advantage of new compression technology and a slightly higher bit-rate on the presentation, which it sorely needs. The movie was shot on a film stock that could move ably between light and shadow, depending on how much plant cover any particular section of the location had. That meant that, during darker scenes, the original film grain would be readily apparent. Also, because of the haze and smoke in this rainforest atmosphere, there would always be swirling plumes of diffusion. All of this wreaks hell on average DVD transfers, with lots of "bugnoise". Fortunately, those distractions are greatly minimized on disc and only apparent when you're trying hard to find them. There's a minute bit of edge enhancement, most noticeable in the sci-fi flashes, lasers and arc-sparks, but all in all, nothing so distracting as to throw you out of the movie. This isn't reference quality, but it's the best this film has ever looked.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmm...I was on the fence about this one but with the news from the Bits and the movie pass, I guess I just fell off the fence! And there's a Target store on that side :D

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Digital Bits is the only site reporting this --- no one else is --- so that has me skeptical.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'm tired of waiting for a better transfer, so I'm biting this time. I would have got the previous dts version, if I could have found it around here.

As far as higher video bit rates etc.: sometimes it just doesn't help much, after a certain point. Depends on the source of course. There is (at least) one disc I have where the bit rate was almost doubled over the original DVD release, and I can't tell the difference. "New compression technology" doesn't necessarily mean a higher bit rate, but could result in less artifacts with a similar bit rate, which is good if we must have compression. I won't be able to judge on this one as it'll be my only version.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this one. Seems to be 2 different versions floating around, one with and one without a movie ticket. Appears the "with ticket" is (necessarily) a "limited edition".

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
So far, The Bits review is the only one that says this new DVD looks better than the DTS disc from a couple years ago. I read about 10 different reviews(DVDFile, DVD Movie Guide, DVD Talk, DVD Angle, Digital Review, DVD Authority, etc) and all of them said the new release has the exact same transfer as the last one. Even though I really trust The Bits for information, all of these other review sites can't be wrong so I'm going to assume the transfer looks identical and pass on it when I go to BB tomorrow(to pick up Kill Bill Vol. 2 of course).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Given that the Bits' reviewer also mentions a "new" Dolby Digital mix, I kinda find it hard to trust what he says. It's the same audio as the prior DVD - and probably the same as the ORIGINAL DVD. The DTS was added to the second version, but I know of no indications that the DD track has changed over time...

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'm going to buy this today at Circuit City and watch it when I get home from my mates house. Van Damme was in the "Red Suit", in case anyone wanted to know...

:D:emoji_thumbsup:

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Well, Im curious, anyone get a chance to watch it tonight, please let us all know for sure if it looks better. I have the dts one and I find it extremely grainy.

John Swarce

Second Unit
I picked up my copy today and saw that it was one of the new Fox numbered editions. Number 15. As I put it in my DVD rack for later viewing tonight, I noticed that The Commitments DVD is also Number 15!

What was Fox thinking? Now my numbering system is all screwed up and I can no longer show my collection to anyone else!:b

Do we ask for a recall?;)

John

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Cool, I think there's another sequel here:
Alien vs. Predator vs. Commitments!

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Anyone else UNDERWHELMED with the quality of this dvd packaging?

Sure the cover and disks look nice, but the back panel with the information on it is being held on by a small strip of tacky in the middle, causing the top and bottom to flail loosely.

Also, on the inside, the plastic trays that hold the dvds aren't permanently attached, just tackied on at a few spots..again, somewhat loosely.

Man, this is the poorest quality dvd case I have ever seen...worse than snappers. I had to actually use a glue stick to get that back pannel to stay on better.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Not a big deal, but something I'm curious about. I got this set from Wal-Mart today, and on the packaging it has the "ugly motherfucker" quote, but the quote is edited. I was wondering if Wal-Mart edited this, or if its like this on every set. It just strikes me as a little odd that Fox would even put the quote on there if they were gonna edit it.

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
I bought mine at Target and the quote is edited as well. My copy also didn't have the free ticket included. In a way I'm glad because it gives me a real good excuse to NOT see the movie now.

MattCleary

Stunt Coordinator
My bestbuy version proudly proclaims it's an ugly 'motherf&*ker' too, I guess it's a studio decision? I did get a free AvP ticket though (Which is good, cause I wouldn't PAY to see it!)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Printed material in DVD is always edited. I have "Kill Bill Vol. 1" sitting right here in front of me and the insert lists the sixth chapter stop as "Word Of Advice !*#@-head, Don't You Ever Wake Up" and the seventh chapter stop as "My Name is Buck and I'm Here To *#@%" so it came as no surprise to me that "You're One Ugly Motherucker" was edited on the "Predator" Collector's Edition packaging when I opened it today. Another funny example is on "Tenacious D: The Complete Masterworks", when "Fuck Her Gently" is listed as "FHG" on the packaging, the insert *AND* the DVD menu!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just got back from Wal-mart picking up Predator. The ticket was inside! I also like the cool packaging. Flimsy yes, but I kind of like it and it looks striking on the shelf.

MattCleary

Stunt Coordinator
It is certainly a nice package, what's with the '15' at the bottom though? I would have thought, somewhere within my 200+ DVD's I'd have something else from this numbered collection

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Matt: There's a thread here that lists all the known numbers. IIRC there is one number apparently missing from 1 to 15, but I guess the double 15 accounts for it! For instance, Planet of the Apes is #14...the way I file my discs is "closed end in" (or open end out), so I can't see the numbers and that's the only one I remember.

My back paper was held by 5 neat dabs of stuff, one per corner and the center...it won't fall off, which is good for me.

In Canada we did not even get the "ugly motherfucker" quote at all; is it on the back paper, which is different/bilingual here?

FWIW for those in Canada, Wal-Mart seems to have the lowest advertised price. My local one did not have the FS version, just WS with ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks