What's new

Will Predator: CE have a new transfer? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Actually, there were absolutely no differences between the original ID4 and the newest one in regard to picture or sound. Same transfer, same cut, same audio - no DTS on it...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Since all of those were non-anamorphic, it made sense for them to have new transfers. The DTS Predator is already anamorphic, so I doubt Fox figure it needs another work-up...

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

Actually, it is DTS sound on all new editions of ID4, except the R1 editions. Both R2Europe and Japan (Ultimate Edition), got DTS, R3 and R4 too. But as I wrote, no new transfer and I don´t now if the sound mix for the DTS track is different than the DD one.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the poster who said PREDATOR was always a grainy film, and am still baffled by folks who take visible film grain as a sign of a bad transfer. The only way to remove grain is to heavily filter the image, resulting in an image lacking in fine detail and often with heavy "ringing" and edge-enhancement, as well.

HOWEVER, when it comes to dirt, that *CAN* and should be cleaned up, and if done correctly cleaning up dirt can be accomplished without any detrimental effects on overall picture quality, whereas "grain reduction" would result in a lessening of picture detail.

Vincent

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I certainly don't mind the grain, and if the current anamorphic transfer is the best this film is going to look that's fine with me.

The point of my comment was that it'll take more than the addition of some special features to get me to triple-dip on this film.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I seem to remember reading an article that the grain is inherent to the negative due to the harsh heat and conditions in Mexico when the film was shot.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Graininess can be a sign of using a source several generations removed from the original, which is why people complain about it. Here, I think that's just how the movie looks, due to the film stock used and shooting conditions.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Fox could easily spend the extra money on Lowry Digital computer swipe through on the current transfer.

Britton

Screenwriter
They really should call this one "The Governor's Edition".

I think we all need to push for a Weathers/Duke presidential ticket in 2008!!!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Well, it's a week from release and I haven't seen any reviews yet. Anyone? Bueller?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I meant here :D. Ususally someone posts a review here pretty early.

Mike

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
My local store got it today (darn, no Kill Bill though). I'll run it through the paces.

Mike

DannyS

Second Unit
I wited 2 years for the US edition because of the awful coverart and PAL speedup over here.

IT ROCKS!

Well worth the wait.

Buy this now.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
No new transfer = no sale for me. I'll keep my bare-bones DTS disc since I don't care about the special features on this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks