Will playing Play Station on front projector burn bulb fast

Duke72

Agent
Real Name
Brian Aucoin
I am looking to get a Play Station 3 when I finish my HT to use as a Blue Ray Disk player and for my kids gaming. Someone told me that gaming will burn out my bulb because the long play time will get the bulb hot. Is this true, or just someones guess?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The bulb turns on and comes up to temperature no matter if you are watching a DVD, playing a game, etc.

Just make sure your projector has ventilation as described in the owners manual. The "someone" who told you gaming would over-heat the projector is blaming the wrong thing.

ya dont even worry about bulb life. if you projector is new and legitament then its not going to be an issue. its going to last you at least 3-4 years being used daily.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Um, what if his kid plays video games 8 hours a day, seven days a week? A 3000 hour bulb would only last a little over a year.

I think the friend's advice meant that precious bulb life (replacements cost $300-$500) shouldn't be wasted on something like gaming which typically gets many more hours of use than DVD watching.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bottom line:

(1) The gaming will not strain the bulb more than DVD viewing will. So its life isn't shortened (counting hours).
(2) More gaming will lead to more burning hours per day (assuming your movie-viewing isn't affected), so the bulb will have to be replaced earlier.

Cees

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This may sound obvious, but a light bulb in this case only has two positions: on and off. If it's on, you are using up its lifespan. It it's off, you are not. Whether you are gaming or watching a static image or watching a movie is irrelevant: the bulb is on.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaywess