Will Plasma tv's ever be affordable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentJ, Jul 16, 2002.

1. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

I personally can't afford one of these awesome tv's. Just wondering if they will come off the price any in the near future? thanks

2. Donald Lagasse

Donald Lagasse Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely! How low, I don't know. They have been dropping ever since they came on the market though

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Good 42" plasmas (Panasonic for instance) can now be had under $5K and even close to $4K. Good 50" plasmas (the panny, Fujitsu, and Pioneer) can be found for about $8K or under.

So they've come down a good bit in the last two years already.

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Plasma TV's have dropped in price 25% (cumulative) per year for the last 3 years. That is expected to continue for another 3 years, then level off somewhat. Look around at current online street prices and do the math. Keep in mind that it is cumulative though, so you don't just knock 75% off the price (more like 60%). Current best prices: 42" ~$4K, 50" ~$7K, 61" ~$15K. 36 months from now: 42" $1600, 50" $2800, 61" $6k.

5. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Heard the cheaper ones (4-6K) can't display true HD-so whats the point.
    I won't be buying a NON HD Plasma.

Also heard the high price of "optical glass" is what kills the deal.

Regards
    CC

6. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Yes.

I'm curious as to what technology will end up replacing CRT. DLP/LCOS, LCD and plasma all look promising. But each has a downside. But they'll all become more affordable as people buy more of them. I'm still amazed at the rate the prices for LCD flat panels have dropped. You can get an NEC 19" flat panel with class-leading specs for under $1000 now!

7. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

Some people are saying that LCD technology is growing much faster than plasma and becoming more available to the buying public. With flat-panel computer monitors using LCD technology, LCD is ahead in the race to replace CRT.

8. EricHaas

Many of the 42" plasmas released in the last 6 months do HD native resolution. Some of the HD screens are available for around $5K, such as the new Panasonic model. Look for the Panasonic TH-42PWD5UY, NEC MP4 and Fujitsu 4242.

LCD technology has a strong foothold in the computer monitor market, but the technology is not tranferring well to the larger form factors. Plasmas are WAY ahead of LCD for home theater applications. In the 30"+ size range, today there is 1 LCD sold for every 30 plasmas. I have seen and can attest to the fact that the few larger LCD's out do not compete with the better plasmas in terms of PQ, and they are more expensive to boot.

OLED is an interesting possibility for flat panel displays which some say may challenge plasmas. However, we are at least 3 years off from any consumer level large form factor OLEDs, and 5 years from the technology having any significant presence. For a long time to come, plasmas are it for flat panel HT displays.

9. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Westaim already showed their IEL flat display. According to their claim, by the time their first unit is out, the price of their 19" Inorganic Electro Luminescence display will be comparable to the regular 19" tube (non-flat) for PC.

Contrast ratio so far is only 300:1 but they are working for at least 400:1 for their launch. Alas, there is no mention of HDTV (all their prototypes so far are all 4:3).

PS: IEL will be 80% thinner than the thinnest plasma displays currently available today.

10. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

Not to bring the discussion off-topic, but what is OLED? I never heard of this technology before.

11. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Organic Light Emitting Diode

12. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

The 42" may not have native 720p resolution, but even at 480p, 90% of people will think the picture is better than a traditional CRT. There are other factors besides resolution that make a picture

13. EricHaas

True. I viewed the lower res 42" Panasonic right along side the new higher res display in store just last week with an HD feed. The lower res 42" has a surprisingly good HD picture. The only difference between the two was that the lower res display was pixelated in close viewing (under 6'). Further away, they were virtually indistinguishable.

14. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

I heard that plasma displays only last about 7 years. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Deborah

15. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I read somewhere that for every 100 they make 40 are no good
    so the making of these sets really has to change before they ever come down in price in a big way. At least that's what I remember of the article & if 60 left the factory I wonder how many of those ended up coming back due to dead pixels?

16. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

7 years? Not exactly. What I heard was that after 30,000-40,000 hours the brightness will diminish. But this happens with other TVs, even CRTs.

Good place for plasma info is over at avsforum.com on the plasma forum.

17. EricHaas

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    All I know is what it would cost me for a 40" plasma is about the same as I would like to spend on a top end LCD or DLP projector with matching Stewart Greyhawk screen.

19. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the replies, links, etc. I have read through the AVS link. Interesting.
    Seems to me the good thing about electronics is that time is always on your side --in general, the longer you wait to buy something,the better and cheaper it gets. [​IMG]
    Again, thanks for the input.
    Deborah

20. Corey Holter

Corey Holter Agent

Panasonic 42" plasma display (4UY) which is non-HD, but still an awesome display, is available from several Internet dealers for under $4,000.