What's new

Will Paramount Release Season 2 Of Cannon On DVD? (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Streets of San Francisco has been abandoned by CBS/Paramount? Wow. I'm surprised. With talk of a revival on CBS, as well as how much money they must have spent on the Season 1 and 2 transfers, which all look amazing, I thought they would continue. Maybe it's a victim of the bad economy?

CBS/Paramount seems to be going through a slow down when it comes to classic releases. What about The Untouchables, Perry Mason, Rawhide, and Gunsmoke; have you heard anything about CBS/Paramount abandoning them, Jeff?

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
The term "abandoned" that I see continually used on this forum sounds so final.

From Webster's dictionary, the first definition given for the word "abandon" is

"To give up with the intent of never again claiming a right or interest in."

How can one read into that quote that we will never again see any further releases?

Sounds to me like there is simply a hold on releases for the next year or two.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu

I haven't, but I'm still wondering if they'll consider full season releases. $30 for half a season (despite the remastering and restoration) seems a bit much. Especially since there's a growing trend towards Complete Series releases for around $100-$150.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
My conversation with the person primarily involved HAWAII FIVE-0 (my favorite show), which has several releases scheduled for 2009, including one scheduled in October, so CBS/P has their schedule laid out pretty well for the year. STREETS has no releases scheduled for 2009 apparently (I probably erred to say in my original post that it was 'abandoned', but appearances would seem to indicate this may be likely). However, we've seen them go up to a year or more in a few cases if I recall, so that's not to say they wouldn't put something out in 2010.
One clue that may alert us to any future seasons is the Paramount syndication bible, which has STREETS episodes remastered only through Season 2 so far. That same website lists no remastering work done whatsoever on CANNON, which is evident by the prints they used for the DVDs, so it will be harder to tell if this one will move forward with future releases, but I will ask next time.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Why the devil has SOSF been abandoned, I was under the impression it did well? Is this down to bad sales (can't imagine that), or the economic crisis? It looked awesome, good work was put into it, and it seems strange restoration should halt with S2. Makes no sense to me. Here I was, just praising Paramount yesterday ("Bonanza") and now this - and it's only February. Even if the remaining seasons look like "Cannon", we'd still want them, but maybe R2 will save it. "Cannon" doesn't look very good for an official release, wonder why they're in such poor state, you can actually find bootlegs of shows on iOffer that look better. Hopefully Paramount will reconsider this carefully, and continue both shows - regardless of picture quibbles.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
From the sound of it, Streets has been abandoned in the near future. Hopefully, CBS/Paramount will find their way back to it, like they did with Cheers, some way down the line. If they go through with the revival of the show, and it's successful, maybe that might help.

As far as Cannon goes, here's a show CBS/Paramount should do a disc replacement program for. Is this really the best the show can look?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Strange how Paramount love their '60s shows, "The Wild, Wild West", "Hawaii-Five-0" to name two, season-wise they're about the same length as their '70s shows. But most studios seem to be dragging their feet when it comes to the TV cop decade, and always put the '70s coppers on hold. Wrong choice, babies, wrong choice. :-/

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Hawaii Five-0 was only a season and a half in the '60s. It did last the entire decade of the '70s.

I'm eager for news on Cannon, The Untouchables and Mod Squad. Plus more Mannix.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Jeff in Colorado for trying to find out about Cannon for us. Does anyone know of an email address, mailing address, and phone number that we can contact Paramount asking them to please keep releasing Cannon and Streets Of San Francisco on DVD?

Thanks Everyone!

Robert

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
I'm a bit confused here: since they didn't remaster CANNON, doesn't that mean they would put out more sets? Or are they breaking a trend by preferring to put out remastered sets on DVD?

I'm confused by it.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
For whatever reason, CBS/P remasters some shows they release on DVD, while others simply get transfers made from whatever existing prints are handy. Factors that determine this may include popularity of a show in syndication, costs/budget for the DVD release, condition of the negatives, projected DVD sales and I'm sure many other things.

Star Trek, Mission:Impossible, Hawaii Five-0, Streetsare examples of their shows that have received very nice treatment. Cannon unfortunately was not one of these, for whatever reason. I'm happy to have it on DVD regardless.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It's funny, because "Cannon" ran as long as SOSF, for five popular seasons. I would've thought putting out older shows, doesn't cost as much as putting out newer ones? Because of, for instance, all the extras people want these days, etc.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
Guess the naysayers were wrong on this one...

TVShowsOnDVD says Season 2, Volume 1 is due out June 2nd!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm frankly surprised that this show is still getting rolled out while "Barnaby Jones" remains the *only* QM show controlled by CBS/Paramount to not get any kind of DVD release.

That said, it's nice to know that CBS/Paramount hasn't totally slowed down everything.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, it sure would be nice to see Barnaby Jones get some kind of release. I guess we have to wait for all of Cannon to be released first?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Not so suprising if the transfers for Season 2 are as subpar as they were for Season 1. If they're not going to digitally remaster the episodes, it's probably not much a big deal to put it out.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Yes! Thank you Paramount for releasing more Cannon on DVD! Paramount please release all 5 Seasons of Cannon on DVD! Thanks again Paramount!

Robert

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Hopefully Baranaby Jones will get released on DVD. I don't think we will have to wait for all of Cannon to be released before Paramount begins releasing Barnaby Jones. It may happen sooner than we think. Also, there have been some series that have recently been completed such as The Invaders and last year The Odd Couple and The Wild Wild West. Maybe this will open up a slot for Barnaby Jones. Also, I believe Mission Impossible only has 1 more Season to go after the upcoming 6th Season DVD release this spring. Possibly another potential opening for Barnaby Jones!

Take Care!

Robert

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! I'm glad Cannon S2 is coming out! But I will wait for S2 Vol.2 Everytime I check dvdpricesearch.com thats how I got S1 Vol. 1&2 combo for $42 at buy.com So when both S2 vol. comes out I'll just keep checking at dvdpricesearch and see if some online retailer have Cannon S2 vol. 1&2 combo specials, It be cheaper to buy combos than single vol. most of the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks