What's new

Will Paramount Release 1971-1976 QM Show Cannon On DVD? (1 Viewer)

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Does anyone know if Paramount has any plans to release the classic 1971-1976 Quinn Martin TV Show Cannon starring William Conrad on DVD?

Thanks

Robert

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

I've been watching Cannon on the RTN (digitally sped up version). Be nice for Paramount to give the show new transfers.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I would be in for this show also. However I want Paramount to finish up their other similarly themed shows first (Perry Mason, Mannix, Hawaii Five 0, etc.) They are putting a lot of classic product on the market and I fear the glut will hurt sales of one or more series and cause them to be prematurely ended.

Steve

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I would buy Cannon in a heartbeat! He's right up there with Rockford and Magnum when it comes to TV's greatest private detectives. It was always fun seeing him drive that big-ass car of his around town and getting in burly fights with bad guys.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I would think that Paramount will get to this show at some point but if I had to make a prediction I would think it'll be a couple of years down the road. They still have a ways to go on Mod Squad, Fugitive, Untouchables, Hawaii Five-O, Streets of San Francisco and Mission Impossible and they are first going to be starting Mannix. In a couple of years when most of those are finished I would think they will get to Cannon and Barnaby Jones.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I'm with Steve on this one all the way. Paramount is really flooding the TVonDVD market with a lot of stuff, and I don't want to see them get too much out all at once where shows suffer. I want to see THE FUGITIVE, RAWHIDE, PERRY MASON, UNTOUCHABLES and others get a little further along first. Especially in light of their continued insistence of pushing the dreaded split-season sets on us.

Gary "I'd love to see Cannon on dvd - just not yet" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Agree wholeheartedly, Gary. I'd like to see "Cannon" as well but I worry that with each new show released, the others I want tend to get pushed further back and potentially forgotten.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
Count me in for this one, if and when it's released. I'm a big fan of William Conrad - mostly from his old-time radio work (Gunsmoke in particular). I've also enjoyed Rockford and other 70s detective shows and have heard great things about Cannon.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I'm so pumped up for William Conrad Tuesday. If only Classic Media would get on the bandwagon and release the remaining Rocky and Bullwinkle segments in a boxset.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
This is a good day for William Conrad fans. I'm in for each and every volume they release, and could care less about split seasons, as I am just happy we are getting it at all (I really figured this one would be too obscure to get on CBS DVD's radar).
I eagerly await all of the big burly Frank Cannon action they can dish up!

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
Its about time paramount has released on cannon I've been waiting for years
for cannon to come out on dvd

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
According to the CBS syndication bible there are 3 second season episodes "not available for syndication" with no reason given. A total of 10 over the series' run are unavailable. It will be interesting to see if these turn up if and when S2 gets released or we have another "Bored, She Hung Herself" situation.

Also interested in finding out if the pilot will presented in its original 2 hour format or if it will be the syndicated two part version.

Concerns aside, I'm very happy to see this coming.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I looked at the episode guides from Paramount, and those Cannon episodes have all aired on cable. Also, they list several Twilight Zones as being similarly unavailable, and those all wound up on the DVDs, so I'm not too worried. The Hawaii Five-O thing, atrocious though it was, seems like a different kind of case.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The entire first season of Mannix isn't for syndication, but will be coming out on DVD.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Lee and Joe - good points about lack of syndication vs what gets released. Thank you. One less concern.

Cannon will be an interesting marketing test. Unlike 5-0 it hasn't been widely syndicated in recent decades (at least in my market) and it doesn't feature a "sex symbol" lead. I'm really interested in seeing how this pans out. I traded for an episode several years ago that had Cindy Williams in the guest star role and it was pretty good.

With all the love that CBS has for William Conrad lately (Fugitive, Jake/Fatman, Cannon) can Nero Wolfe (with Lee Horsley) be far behind :D

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Funny that you say that. I have this unscientific theory that if a show was successfully syndicated (cable airings don't usually count for that, although some special cases pop up) in the United States between 1980 and 2000, it does well on DVD. If it wasn't, it doesn't. The system doesn't work for every title, but seems to work more than it doesn't. Cannon is an interesting test because I think it was pretty successful in syndication at the very beginning of that 20-year window, but not since. I guess we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks