Will Outlaw Golf be any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I'm considering getting Outlaw Golf this week, (if it actually comes out) and I am wondering if it will be any good.

I like to get games on their release date when I can.

How will it stack up to, say Hot Shots Golf 3?

2. Chris Rock

OK,
    Now that this game is out, maybe someone will get it and be able to answer this.

3. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    Is this an XBOX game? It seems like I saw a clip of it from E3.

Aaron

4. Chris Rock

It IS an XBox game. It is in stores today.

I almost picked it up at lunchtime, but it was $54.99 at the store that I went to.

I know I'll be able to find it for $49.99.

Anyone, please post your impressions if you get this. Specifically, I am interested in the golf-sim aspect of the gameplay.

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

It can't possibly be as good as Hot Shots Golf 3 for PS2.

6. Chris Rock

Well,
    I picked up Outlaw Golf today.

I know it won't be a Hot Shots 3 (I Love that game), but hopefully it can keep my attention 18 holes at a time.

I really like this year's golf games (Tiger Woods 2002 and HSG3) and I'm hoping Outlaw Golf won't disappoint.

I'll let everyone know what I think after I play a few holes.

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Yes, please do post your thoughts, Chris. I liked what I saw on the OXM demo, but I am curious to hear what you think about longevity and replayability.

Not that you need my 2 pennies, but I had a lot better luck hitting straight shots by using the "S" controller, and using both thumbs to draw back and then push forward the thumbstick. Using one thumb usually caused a slice or hook, but both thumbs seemed to counter-balance each other, and by the third or fourth time through the demo, I was able to blast quite a few shots and get the vapor-trail that follows perfectly-struck balls.

FWIW...

8. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I've got about 10-15 hours in with this game already. The swing takes some getting used to, but i am performing fairly consistently with it. Get the occasional hook or slice but that's the way golf is. I am using just the one thumb to swing. My average is around -3. Best game was a -9 on the desert course.

I've unlocked 3 golfers, and earned some new clubs and balls. This game will take awhile to unlock everything.

Gotta love Summer!

9. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I'm curious how it compares graphically to Hot Shots 3 and Tiger Woods '02, thanks.

10. Chris Rock

I like the Analog stick - swing approach, like is used in Tiger Woods '02.

I hope this swing is similar. I've gotten pretty good at Tiger Woods '02. I'm on the 15th of 17 challenges.

I think I'll like Outlaw Golf for its humor and unique features, like the composure meter and "beating tokens". I really hope that the golf physics are convincing enough to make for a fun game.

11. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

12. Chris Rock

My impressions (after 3-4 hours of play):
    Good game. Different, but good.
    The control takes some getting used to. Watch the tutorials to learn the specifics. After the first 9 holes, I was figuring the controls out pretty well.
    The graphics are very good. Nothing to complain about, really. The backgrounds are beautiful, and the character models are well done. (Some are more well done than others, if you know what I mean). There are several replay angles, and some cool effects when you get a perfect swing.
    The sound is fitting. I immediately turned the music off, though. I hate cheesy music playing when I am trying to concentrate. The sound effects and ambient noises are well-placed. The announcer, while funny, can become annoying. Perhaps it's the way he says things, rather than what he says, as I've not become annoyed with the announcers in Tiger Woods '02, and I've played that for dozens of hours. However, the commentary is clever, and I've only played on one of the 3 courses, so there could be some more varied stuff on the other 2.
    The gameplay, while different than HSG3 or Tiger Woods '02, is good. Like Rick said above, "there is a serious sim under the goofy stuff". I have noticed that the wind seems to have relatively little effect, especially compared to HSG3, and the balls seem to "bounce" a lot. However, things are consistent within the game, so you can adjust fairly easily.
    The game's options are my biggest disappointment. Some things I would have liked to have seen that are not there are:
    - The ability to save replays (heck, the XBox has a friggin HD, for crying out loud! You could save a million shots!)
    - More stats tracking, similar to HSG3.
    - More information regarding each player's abilities, especially as far as using new clubs and balls are concerned. HSG3 really spoiled me on this.
    All in all, though, the game stands on its own merits. The putting system is very well done, and stands among my favorites. I like the combination analog-swing WITH a power meter - I kind of wish Tiger Woods would have done something like that. Also, the "composure meter" is a nice touch, although it doesn't make as big a difference as it might sound. The game's comedy factor must be considered, too - it's very entertaining. The different character voices describing the holes before you play them is a hoot - at least the first couple times.
    It's not HSG3, but it doesn't really pretend to be. It's just different enough to make you feel like you're playing something new, and yet familiar enough for you to jump right in without hours of practice.
    Overall, I'm glad I got it. If Hot Shots Golf 3 were a 10, I'd give this a solid 8. Like the reviewers in Game Informer mag said, "it's just a couple of tweaks away" from being a great game. (they said "good" game, but I say great.) (They rated it 7.75 out of 10 - if that's not "good", I don't know what is.)

13. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I was playing HSG3 in BB today and not to judge a game on 10 minutes but what's the big deal? Mediocre graphics and players with big heads. Not trying to troll, just trying to figure out where all the love for the game comes? Note: I like golfing and don't need golfers with large heads to make it more entertaining.

Thanks for the review Chris.

14. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

HSG3 is an amazingly deep, realistic, challenging golf sim. You can't see it's greatness in 10 minutes. At least give it a rental, then let us know what you think.

15. Chris Rock

I've been enjoying Hot Shots Golf since the first one came out. It was the first golf game I'd ever played, to speak of, and it has set my standards of expectation.

The "golfers with large heads" part of HSG3 is only a small part of it. It's a challenging video game, with lots of things to unlock and goals to reach.

Try it out - you won't be disappointed. I'm sure others on this board would agree.

But to get to the topic at hand - Outlaw Golf is a little more on the video game-ish side than the golf sim side.

16. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Sorry to disrupt this thread but I'm kind of bummed out about HS3. It keeps freezing one me and I heard there is nothing you can do about it. It happens one out of every twenty games but it's rather annoying...
    -Andre F

17. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

OFF TOPIC:

I learned how to play video golf from the Leaderboard series on my commodore. What ever happened to that game?
    I truley believe the golf physics compete with anything out there today.

By the way, Hotshot Golf is a nice demo on the OXM. I plan on giving it a rent.

18. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

This Game Rocks!!!! Really Good Golf Game and Very Funny on top of it. I only need the very last Driving Range challenge to beat the whole Outlaw Range area. 2618 Points on the final Putting Challenge and still had 1 ball left.
    Anybody do better?

Beau

19. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

By the way, the announcer is Stever Carel from The Daily Show. He is funny, but the stuff they have him saying (and yes, a little in his delivery) is rather annoying, from what I heard in the demo.

20. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

After trying the demo, I wasn't enthused, but thought "what the hell", let's see if this game has anything going for it.
    Outlaw Golf is a winner... endless game options, player upgrades, and so forth. After a couple of hours it's better without the commentary.
    On a scale of one to ten with regards to longevity of play, interest, an ability to involve others, etc., I give this
    8.5 [​IMG]'s
    NOTE: It is risque... subtle comments and movements are definitely PG.