Will Outlaw delay the 950 a few months to implement the firewire port?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory Scott Bass, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

If anyone from outlaw is reading please respond. or if anyone has heard yet?

2. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

Maybe they'll delay it for HD-DVD...Oh wait that's what we'll be asking next year at this time...There's always going to be something on the horizon they could include, but such is the way with electronics these days. For the average income type it's imposible to constantly upgrade for every new format, gadget, etc. At some point you have to sit down and enjoy what you have, hopefully they will start shipping the darn thing so we can all sit down and enjoy it... [​IMG]

3. Gregory Scott Bass

I would agree if we were talking about some new surround format but we are talking about the technology that will be replacing cds, I would prefer them hold off a couple of months instead of waiting a year or two for the next preamp to be released that includes this feature.

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Gregory,
    I don't really know why people are worried about this. Maybe I'm not getting it but won't the 5.1 analog outputs still work? And so won't the Outlaw 950 still be a great value since it STILL can be used for DVD-Audio? I'm starting to think people are asking way too much from Outlaw. It's a pre/pro for under $1000 yet people want it to have every new gizmo and gadget on it.
    Also, I don't see DVD-Audio replacing CD's at all. DVD-Audio discs must be played in DVD-Audio players. They cannot be played in a portable cd player, a car cd player, or an existing home unit. SACD offers hybrid discs (though at this point I don't think very many) that can be played in all different players. [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

5. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Dan,

I'm with you. I've been really hard on the Outlaws when it comes to release dates, but for under $1000.00 we're asking too much. When I bought my receiver three years ago I was happy that I got a brand new Denon 3300($1000.00) for $700.00 delivered over the net. If the Outlaws can give me a brand new pre/pro for $900.00 that sounds like, and has the features of even a $2000.00 pre/pro. I'll be happy.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"I would agree if we were talking about some new surround format but we are talking about the technology that will be replacing cds,"

You could save me a lot of money. Replace cd's, wow. can you provide any artlicles or links to this?

7. Gregory Scott Bass

People did'nt want to give up there phonographs or cassettes either but it happened because once people hear a noticible difference in sound quality they make the switch. Everything is starting to come together now, affordable recordable dvd players are just around the corner and the dvd audio format will allow at least one generation copy to be made. I predict dvd audio players for cars will be available by years end and the competition between dvdaudio and scad will be mute because all players available will play both formats. will cd die fast? no but it will die...its just a matter of time now. As far as not expecting outlaw to provide this feature at the 900 dollar price point, I think that is not a valid argument, firewire ports are cheap as dirt, they are becoming common on just about every computer system sold, sony includes them on all there computers without an increase in price over competing systems, the firewire standard is universal, the dvdaudio standard was just about the implementation of the decoding. I fully expect yamaha and other fast producers to have there compatible recievers on the shelf by summer if not sooner. Just my opinion. Scott

8. Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg Stunt Coordinator

Greg,

" I would prefer them hold off a couple of months instead of waiting a year or two for the next preamp to be released that includes this feature. "

You are assuming the DVD-A spec if finalized in a few months. It may or may not be.

Also the Crystal DSP chip in the Outlaw is built for two channel (or encoded) inputs into it. It isn't built for six channels of 96/24 PCM inputs. Most likely Outlaw would have to scrap the Crystal and move to another DSP to support the un-finalized DVD-A spec.

That would nullify all the work they have done so far with the Crystal and would take more then a few months to deal with. As has been said before there will always be some feature on the horizon. If a manufacturer waits to always include all those features they will never ship a product.

Shawn

9. Gregory Scott Bass

according to audio revolutions newsletter the dvd audio spec was finalized a couple of days ago....that was my whole point for this thread. Scott

10. Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg Stunt Coordinator

11. Andrew Beck

Andrew Beck Stunt Coordinator

Gregory,

the hardware spec was published, however there is nothing about the software spec. There has been no copy protection finalized yet.

I also wouldn't be to sure about your vision of DVD-Audio. they haven't developed a player yet that doesn't need a TV, which means a car player is a long way off. Your forgeting the people who are mainly interested in this as of yet are audiophiles who could care less about a car.

The only thing that's going to make one of these formats succeed is software, and I think that SACD has the leg up right now on that.

12. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

People didn't change from records and tapes to CD's because of sound quality. Not in the numbers that have made CD the monster it is today. Only audiophiles embrace a new format (or cling to an old one) because of sound quality. People embraced CD because it was more convenient, smaller and didn't wear out from repeated use. DVD-Audio and SACD have none of these things going for them. The multi-channel aspect that is their strength (to the non-audiophile) will take a while to catch on. It may be a decade or more before either format even begins to approach CD in popularity. The same things that made CD so popular are also working in DVD's favor. The sucessor to DVD will have a similar road to hoe if it uses the sames sized media but simply offers better quality.

13. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

As to the question in the header, I don't think so.

This prepro is supposed to be an entry level piece. They've delayed a few times now to add this and that (to make the crowd happy). They're done with adding more features to the 950, now they're in the tweaking stage (from recent Outlaw Newsletters and EMails).

IMO, it will be at least 2 more product cycles before we even see the firewire output being added to a good number of CD/DVD players. I wouldn't sweat it at this point.

Rich B.