Will NTSC discs play on a Pal system?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mick Wright, May 9, 2004.

1. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

I'd like to send some home movies recorded on NTSC dvds to a friend of mine in Spain. Can anyone confirm if these discs are likely to play on a pal system? Thanks.

2. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

Using NTSC->PAL conversion, it can be done.

3. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

This guy most likely has a regular, unmodified pal player with minimal features. Does that mean the answer is no?

4. Eric.

Eric. Stunt Coordinator

As far as i know all dvd players in pal regions are also ntsc capable.I have never come across a machine that won't play ntsc discs here in australia even down to the cheapest and nastiest.You will of course need a monitor capable of displaying an ntsc signal as well.Most half decent tv's sold in the last 5 years are ntsc compatible.

5. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    If the tv is multistandard and he's using SCART to connect the DVD to the tv there shouldn't be an issue.

6. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

Yes, it´s not the DVD that´s the problem. As far as I know all DVD´s can play both NTSC and PAL, it´s the TV that´s the problem. That´s why there are NTSC to PAL converters or the opposite. If he has a multisystem TV it should be no problem. But maybe it´s only possible to use the a certain connection, scart, S-video or video.

7. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

Your friend in Spain shouldn´t experience any problems playing them. All he need is a newer televison set and a cheap multi-player or modified player. That´s it.

8. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Thanks for the advice guys.

9. John*C

John*C Stunt Coordinator

Like us using NTSC there are work arounds for all systems for all of the countries, I would use a inverter custom to PAL. Converters are used to lower the electricty needed to play on NTSC players, whereas PAL has a higher current level than what's found the USA grid.