What's new

Will next gen DVD eradicate region and colour coding? (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Hi,

Could someone please clarify the concept of hi-def DVD on whichever format it comes out on?

1. Will region coding still exist?

2. Will NTSC/PAL still exist?

Thanks

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
1. Nobody knows yet for certain what will happen to region coding. I haven't seen any specs stating region coding will be implemented in either of the new HD formats.

However, I see no reason why Hollywood would want to abolish region coding; it costs very little and the benefits to studios and their minions are obvious so they are likely to continue with the scheme for future formats until WTO or someone else with enough authority will stop them.

Personally, I fear region coding will be strong in the new formats and take years to break.

2. NTSC and PAL are analogue formats and their problems need not be repeated with HD formats. Resolutions for Blu-ray and HD DVD will be the same everywhere in the world, and high definition displays required to watch these formats must accept both 50Hz and 60Hz signals via HDMI, in Europe at least.

Therefore, the refresh rate that is most suitable for the original material, either 24fps or 25fps, can and should be chosen. Films will always play back at the correct speed.

I think we'll see some differences in how players sold in various parts of the world will be able to downconvert HD material for viewing through analogue inputs. Probably not all devices will downconvert HD into both PAL and NTSC as appropriate.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
How would xBox 360 and PS3 fare in the same aspect?

PAL/NTSC downconversion?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks