What's new

Will new HD specs make tuners obsolete? (1 Viewer)

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that a new copy protection method might render present HDTV equipment obsolete. I was going to buy a RCA HD tuner but I am holding off until I hear otherwise. I beleive the new system is all digital with no analog outs at all and the monitor provides the protection.
Anybody heard anything?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
If the copy protection issue ever gets ironed out, you may not be able to receive some of the hd pay per view and events in full resolution HD...THere would be no change in OTA HD or Movie channels like HBOHD and Showtime HD...It may be years before this is all sorted out before the new STB with copy protection even hit the streets..
------------------

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
If you mean you already have your HD-ready set and are debating whether to get a HD receiver, go ahead. The new copy protection scheme will make your HD-ready set obsolete. Enjoy it while you can. And you will always be able to enjoy OTA HDTV with it, unless Congress goes crazy.
There was a recent press release on July 25, 2001, in which DirecTV and Dish sold their souls to Sony and the other members of 5C and the MPAA.
Andrew G. Setos, executive vice president of News Technology and senior vice president, Broadcast Operations and Engineering of the Fox Entertainment Group companies said, "We applaud the adoption of digital protected links. The arrival of DVI using HDCP to the existing 1394 using DTCP technology provides the designers of systems which deliver high level content to consumers a choice of protected connections - each optimized for different applications - and frees them of reliance on the unprotected component analog technology of the past. Everyone wins as consumer expectations for high quality images and functionality will be met, and at the same time these technologies will protect the content they carry."
With the new technology, you will be freed from the burden of using your current analog input HD-ready set for some or all satellite HD, and you will be freed from the ability to time-shift/record at will. Instead, you will be able to enjoy satellite HD channels downgraded to 480i on your current equipment. The satellite HD receiver you buy now can be lobotomized remotely by the satellite company to output only 480i, though this would probably only happen for certain programs, like pay-per-view movies.
It will take time for all this to happen, and so I think you won't lose more than pay-per-view before you are about ready to buy a new set, but nobody knows what will happen. The real threat I see is that this will so cripple HDTV sales that we won't get any more HDTV satellite stations after the currently planned ones for many years.
------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
WHAT is the POINT of HDTV if it is downgraded to NTSC? Answer? THERE IS NO POINT TO IT! God, this is infuriating!
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I just received e-mail from WRAL-HD in Raleigh and he responds but doesn't say if it down grades to 480i.
"The encryption devices will not affect HD transmissions. They will not make any HD equipment obsolete. They will impact recording devices (as they develop) but should not impact anything else. The industry is very concerned about making all products "backward compatible."
Who the hell would spend $600 on a HD tuner that converts to 480i?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Again, incription devices will not effect ota HD broadcast transmissions or movie channels like hbo HD or showtime HD..It will effect some PPV HD movie channels ..and who said down convert all HD to 480i..This is just not the case..Some of the incripted programming on the HD ppv may be down resed to 810i or something, but than who would pay to watch it...It also is going to be quite some time before this is ever ironed out..
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks