1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Will my X-BOX games look bad on 4:3 HDTV??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Marx, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Dave Marx

Dave Marx Stunt Coordinator

I am buying a Sony 36-inch HDTV. I plan to connect my X-BOX to the HD-component inputs. My TV is NOT the new 16:9 format...it is still 4:3. Will the picture be elongated or look strange because it is not 16:9? Will it take up the entire screen?

Thanks...

2. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Dave,

Everything will be fine. You have an option in the Dashboard to select what type of TV you have. It defaults to 4:3, so you will be fine.

-Dean-

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

More games support 4x3 than 16x9, and the ones that do support 16x9 will still support 4x3. Basically, yes, you'll be fine playing on a 4x3 HDTV (I am.) The image should never be stretched or distorted to you, and it will fill up the entire screen. If any of these things is off, it's because of something off in the menus, not the X-Box.

Enjoy your new TV. (I'm assuming you do know all about the advanced AV pack and all that good stuff, right?)

4. Dave Marx

Dave Marx Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses, guys. Yes, I plan on buying the Hi-Def A/V Pack for the X-BOX. Right now, I have the advanced pack for my old Toshiba, but I don't think it's the same thing, right? The advanced pack has component inputs, but I don't think it's a hi-def pack.

Thanks for the feedback! Have any of u played 16:9 games on a 4:3 tv? How does it look? Do the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen take away from the experience? Also, the dude at Best Buy said that if you play NON widescreen games on a 16:9 tv, the image will be shrunken in on the sides. Is this true?

5. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

The High Definition Pack is different from the Advanced AV Pack . The Advanced Pack has S-Video, not component video outputs.
    I own a Sony Wega 36XBR450 HD set. Games look fantastic. When I put in a 16:9 game (like DOA3), I simply turn on 16:9 Enhanced Mode on my TV and it looks great - it's the exact same when I enable Progressive Scan on my JVC DVD player. Regular 4:3 games look just fine, with no letterboxing or squishing.
    If I were you, I'd not put too much stock in anything a "dude at Best Buy" said. If you have 4:3 material played back on a 16:9 set, and if there are no special modes to "stretch" the picture, then, yes, the picture is "Windowboxed". The picture will have grey bars on either side. You will NOT be missing any of the picture.

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

7. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

8. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I didn't understand what he was asking. I thought he misunderstood, and thought that some games were 16x9 format, and if viewed on a 4x3 TV would appear with bars. I get what he's saying now.